"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
lets see if i can make this make sense... wish me luck...

Yes, it will reduce the amount of alcohol. BUT remember this...

If you reduce 6 ounces down to three ounces, and only reduce the alcohol by say...20%, you have gone from 30 proof to 24 proof as an example. The catch is this...yes it reduces the alcohol, but only if you drink only what you reduced. If you make a big batch like this, then drink 6 ounce glasses, you will effectively be getting more alcohol. Make sense? I can see it working out in my head... If not, let me know and I'll take another run at it...
BUT, we're not "reducing" here - we're only heating.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
lol. how the heck did I miss THAT part....maybe my experiments are a little too early in the day. j/k

Cookies = Love
SixSix210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Head Chef
Here is my cipherin':

Two bottles of wine, 750 ml per bottle = 1500 ml.

30 ml to the ounce (OK I know it is a bit less but it makes the arithmatic easy and I never can quite remember the conversion factor. And it is good enough for gov'ment work and when you are sitting in a pub in London.) Two bottles of wine therefore contain 50 ounces of alcohol (1500 ml divided by 30 ml per ounce).

At 12% by volume alcohol in wine (am using a typical value, you can use a different one) there are 0.12 x 50 ounces = six ounces of our good friend ethanol in the 50 ounces of wine.

Now we are adding 2 ounces each of Pernod and Grand Marnier for a total of 4 ounces and they contain 40% alcohol, or so it was stated.

That gives 0.40 x 4 ounces = 1.6 ounces of eithanol in the hard stuff.

Now we have 6 ounces of alcohol from the wine and 1.6 ounces from the Pernod and orange stuff for a total of 7.6 ounces.

The volume will be 50 ounces from the wine and 4 ounces from the hard stuff so we get a total of 54 ounces of fluid (it willl not be precisely that, but close enough).

The percent alcohol is therefore 7.6 ounces of alcohol divided by 54 ounces total final volume, or just a mere tad over 14% alcohol.

So the Pernod and Grand Marnier upped the alcohol content by two percent before the boiling.

That is all, just two percent. Far less than a fortified wine has.

The boiling will take the alcohol content down. But may affect the taste. Would just give the recipes a few tries and see how you like it. And am not sure a squeeze of fresh orange would hurt at all.

That is all I can offer.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
And I stated it in one sentence: Your drink will be good but it's going to be stronger than the wine - not quite as strong as the other ingredients.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
Head Chef
Ok ... I made this for a party this weekend and it was delicious! I used Jagermeister for the Pernod since it's the only thing the local store carried that was licorice flavored (other than a wicked bottle of Absinthe that was $65.00!). The bay leaves gave it a wonderful hint of flavor and the orange peel was beautiful in the bottles and added a wonderful citrus hit. I would give it a solid 9 out of 10 for doctored wine recipes I've tried. Will definitely make it again this summer.

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote