"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Master Chef

Almost from scratch Soda Pop

Almost from scratch Soda Pop:

While S[prout and her mini-Sprouts, munchkin 1, and munchkin 2 were up, I needed to teach them new skills, and let them see how some of the products they occasionally use are made. So having worked in a soda-pop factory for a year before I went in the Navy, I used that knowledge to make some home-made pop. Here's what I did, and it turned out amazing.

Two parts to pop, syrup, carbonated water.
Syrup ingredients:
2 cups sweet-black, seedless grapes.
1/4 cup stevia
2 tbs. sugar

Carbonated water:
2 16 oz. bottles sparkling water

Remove the grapes from their bunches, taking care to remove all of the stems. Blend on high for about 30 seconds. Pour the pulverized grapes into a fine-mesh sieve and drain into a metal bowl. Use a spoon to press the grape must against the mesh to speed the process.

Use the must if you know how to flavor other things, or discard. Pout the juice (should be 1 1/2 cups) back into the blender and add the stevia and sugar. Blend for twenty seconds to disolve the sweetener into the juice. Pour through a funnel into a 2 liter bottle. Slowly, very slowly, add the sparkling water. Watch for it to start foaming rapidly. If it does, quickly screw on the cap to contain the bubbles and not make a mess. Place in the fridge for ten minutes or so to dissolve teh syrup, co2, and sparkling water together. When the bubbles are gone, slowly add the remaining sparking water to the top. Ca[p and shake. Put in the fridge to get cold.

This home made soda tasted just like eating the fresh grapes, but with bubbles. It was so wonderfully flavored, and thirst quenching.

You could use fresh blueberries, or raspberries, or strawberries, or oranges, kiwi, mango, pineapple, apple, whatever flavor you desire. I'm thinking grapefruit would be exceptional. Oh, and don't forget some good apples.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Putting the soda pop in bottles and into the frig' is a good way for the Munchkins to make the connection that you all made real soda pop, since that is what they are most familiar. Even if they watch you pour it back out of the bottles into glasses for serving. Great way to spend time with the grands too Chief.

I use one of several "cheater" methods. A few Tbs of frozen juice concentrate - cranberry juice or limeade are 2 favorites. Add to a glass , add ice, fill with sparkling water. I think it is a better flavor quencher than soda pop. Of course one can juice up any fruits as you point out, and sweeten to taste-- I prefer less sweetener than commercial sodas. Or I will splurge and buy a jug of fresh squeezed OJ, nothing else added, and it is sooo much more concentrated than regular commercial OJ, so it is easy to add soda water and the taste is still flavorful. At any rate, I only make by the glassful at a time.

Here's one you might want to try next summer.

Blueberry or Strawberry lemonade

1/2 cup blueberries or sliced very ripe strawberries
2 tsp agave syrup or honey, or more according to taste
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup sparkling water

Muddle the fruit in a heavy glass with the sweetener. Add lemon juice. Fill glass with ice. Add sparkling water. Stir to combine.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Have you ever heard of Soda Stream? I bought one to experiment with in the Amoretti Test Kitchen, using Amoretti syrups. I had a whole bunch of fun, and it was very interesting.

http://amorettiblog.com/we-have-a-ne...-test-kitchen/

http://amorettiblog.com/creating-great-italian-sodas/

http://amorettiblog.com/that-which-w...aste-as-sweet/
Old 12-31-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Chief, if you ever want to take this lesson a step further, get an iSi whip cream dispenser. You can purchase CO2 cartridges instead of NO2 , and carbonate your own beverage. Put the fruit juice mixture of choice in the container and charge it up to carbonate it.

It's fun to put whole grapes in there with the CO2 and actually carbonate the fruit.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Have you ever heard of Soda Stream? I bought one to experiment with in the Amoretti Test Kitchen, using Amoretti syrups. I had a whole bunch of fun, and it was very interesting.

http://amorettiblog.com/we-have-a-ne...-test-kitchen/

http://amorettiblog.com/creating-great-italian-sodas/

http://amorettiblog.com/that-which-w...aste-as-sweet/

I love my little Soda Stream! Fun to play around with different flavor combos.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook

This is a great idea, Chief. I've been looking for some ways to use fresh fruit, while it is plentiful. How long do you think it stores for?

TBS
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love my little Soda Stream! Fun to play around with different flavor combos.
I bought one for Spike. Plain soda water is all he drinks. He has a half gallon jug that is filled with soda of his own making. Each night he places the jug in the freezer and it keeps the soda water cold all day long. My only regret is that I bought that Soda Stream for him and not me.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
This is a great idea, Chief. I've been looking for some ways to use fresh fruit, while it is plentiful. How long do you think it stores for?

TBS
It should easily keep a couple of weeks, provided that it doesn't lose its fizz. Nothing much grows in carbonated water.

Oh, and just so's everbody knows, I love the other ideas presented in this thread.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote