"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-23-2002, 08:19 AM   #11
Cook

cooking with alcohol

I have absolutely no problem with cooking with alcohol as I only cook for myself and have a glass or two of wine occasionally. I usually make a rum cake for my grandson's birthday as he likes the taste, so will use the real McCoy.

Interesting info though. Thanx.

Old 04-05-2002, 07:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Alcohol Alternatives

I don't know if this would work in a chocolate pudding, but it does work when I'm baking chocolate cake or banana and pumpkin bread; try using dark or light brown sugar instead of white sugar in your recipe if you want some rum flavor.

Rum is made from molasses and most brown sugar is is white sugar with molasses sprayed on it to give it color and flavor. If you can imagine the flavor of rum without the alcohol kick you'll notice the flavor is similar to brown sugar.

I hope this helps.

By the way if you want a good reference book for subsituting ingredients in a recipe, Look for the 1975 edition of The Joy of Cooking. It has a great section called Equivalents and Substitutions. I've found it very useful.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #13
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
Wow - That was a wopping lesson, Chef, and very true. I'd like to add: the taste that remains when using alcohol in cooking, does not come from the alcoholic content, but from the flavourings of the fruit/grain/whatever used and others which may be added.

In wine the flavour comes from the grape. If the wine is matured in oak, this will lend an added flavour, etc. In products such as brandy, the flavour comes from wood, aging and even additions of such things as caramel.

On the other hand pure alcohol is tasteless, therefore the making of vanilla essence with vodka (almost tasteless).

There really should not be any worry if you are cooking or baking at a high enough temperature. The alcohol really does evaporate.

Maws.:)
Old 04-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

actually the alcohol does not ALL evaporate or boil off and what is left is usually enough to knock someone off the wagon. The possibility is serrious enough I will offer this advice to you, caterers can get sued for big money for not disclosing the fact they cook with alcohol and that residual traces may be found in their food.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:49 PM   #15
Cook

If I just use flavorings in my recipes, i.e., one half tsp. of rum or vanilla flavoring, I can't see that it poses a problem. The rum cake I make once a year for my grandson's birthday doesn't cause any problems either. I'm a real fan of wine so I wouldn't touch that line of talk with a ten foot pole. LOL.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:12 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I am a alcoholic and the fact is that you make a choice not to
use alcohol. So you do that. You can't avoid it, its everywhere
restraunts, parties, the store - hello. Make whatever kind of
cake you want and your friend can choose not to have any
Old 04-25-2002, 08:22 AM   #17
Cook

Thank you Tammi...that was a very sensible answer. My hat is off to you!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
Cook

Alternatives to alcohol

Way to go, Tammi! What a great sense of achievement you must experience. Choice is really the answer.
I agree that alcohol is everywhere - you even (or especially) have to read the labelling on medicines very carefully.
Strange, though, products such as rum or vanilla essence are made with an artificial flavour but alcohol is added as the base. One would think that with modern technology a preservative base can be found that is alcohol free!
Brad, thanks for drawing my attention to the fact that traces of alcohol may be left in food after cooking and the fact that restaurants have to specify when alcohol is used. I don't think they do it here.
On that thought: if all alcohol has evaporated but the taste lingers, it could also be dangerous for alcoholics. I have a friend, an alcoholic, who was treated and then never touched alcohol for several years. Till he popped into his supermarket, saw a bottle of non-alcoholic beer and thought that was good idea on a hot day.
He finished the bottle, but after once again getting the taste of beer, rushed off to a pub and hit the low road again. So sad.
Good luck to all. :) Maws.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:26 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

while it is not a law every where that alcohol use be disclosed most restaurants are very proud of the fact it is in a dish they tell you. Even if thre isn't a disclosure law it doesn't limit liability should someone sue.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:45 AM   #20
Cook

Brad, I still think it's great that there is a movement towards this - something I would like to advocate in my country. I have worked in the wine-industry and know all the benefits of the civilised use of wine, but am very much aware ot the devastating effects it can have on people.

We have an enormous jobless rate and great poverty amongst many people. Unfortunately this is often either caused by alcohol abuse or leads to it. It's a vicious circle. But now I'm way off a food topic.

Regards. :) Maws.