Best tasting almond milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: I didn't love the matcha latte made with the Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla, even after I added some of my favorite raw honey. I might try making my own almond milk again and see if there's a difference. I think Blue Diamond is best in smoothies and baked goods.

Can you have coconut? We often use canned coconut milk (not cream or water) in our cereal, tea, etc. The light varieties are good for this, just remember to shake the can well before opening and to pour the remainder into another container. I prefer the canned coconut milk to the chilled varieties for some reason and it lasts longer.

Can you have coconut? We often use canned coconut milk (not cream or water) in our cereal, tea, etc. The light varieties are good for this, just remember to shake the can well before opening and to pour the remainder into another container. I prefer the canned coconut milk to the chilled varieties for some reason and it lasts longer.

In the past coconut milk has been too rich for my system, but maybe the light variety will work. I wonder if coconut milk goes better with matcha tea flavor-wise.

If you buy coconut milk, be sure to read the ingredients. It used to be just coconut extract and water. Now most of it has guar gum. Who knows what they will add next.

If you buy coconut milk, be sure to read the ingredients. It used to be just coconut extract and water. Now most of it has guar gum. Who knows what they will add next.

All the brands of canned coconut milk in my health food store have guar gum in them. Is it bad for you?

All the brands of canned coconut milk in my health food store have guar gum in them. Is it bad for you?
No, guar gum isn't bad for you. It has a laxative effect, which is probably very mild in the quantities found in coconut milk and lowers bad cholesterol. I just don't see any good reason to add it. I think it makes the coconut milk thicker.

My other point was, that since they have started adding guar gum to coconut milk, they might start adding something less "innocent" to it.

No, guar gum isn't bad for you. It has a laxative effect, which is probably very mild in the quantities found in coconut milk and lowers bad cholesterol. I just don't see any good reason to add it. I think it makes the coconut milk thicker.

My other point was, that since they have started adding guar gum to coconut milk, they might start adding something less "innocent" to it.

Gotcha. I'll buy it on my next trip to the health food store. My DoMatcha tea samples arrived today, so I'll try making a coconut milk latte with it. Will post the results!

Alpro

I personally stand by Alpro - i guess it is just a taste thing.

I love it in my porridge as it still goes creamy :ROFLMAO:

Have you thought about making your own almond milk?

I personally stand by Alpro - i guess it is just a taste thing.

I love it in my porridge as it still goes creamy :ROFLMAO:

Have you thought about making your own almond milk?

I used to make my own almond milk but it seemed like too much work. I have to admit that it tasted way better than any commercial almond milk I've ever tasted.

I used to make my own almond milk but it seemed like too much work. I have to admit that it tasted way better than any commercial almond milk I've ever tasted.

KG, how did you make your own almond milk? I recently rediscovered several pounds of whole almonds in the freezer that I forgot about, this sounds like a good way to use them.

This sounds great, thanks Zereh! And I even have some vanilla beans! :yum:

The oh she glows is my favourite recipe too! kitchengoddess8 it is a lot of work but you are right - certainly worth while when you have the time!.

Let me know how it goes for you Dawgluver :chef:

The oh she glows is my favourite recipe too! kitchengoddess8 it is a lot of work but you are right - certainly worth while when you have the time!.

Let me know how it goes for you Dawgluver :chef:

:yum: I made the oh she glows almond milk yesterday, it's so easy and tasty. I didn't have any dates, so I gave it a squirt of agave nectar. I also don't have a nut bag (unless you count DH, he's more of a nut case) so I used my jam strainer, and kept blending.

Last edited:
:yum: I made the oh she glows almond milk yesterday, it's so easy and tasty. I didn't have any dates, so I gave it a squirt of agave nectar. I also don't have a nut bag (unless you count DH, he's more of a nut case) so I used my jam strainer, and kept blending.

If I called Shrek that he would die laughing....

Back
Top Bottom