Best way to store coffee beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I bought some Organic Mexican coffee beans at Starbucks and grind a little every time I make a cup. On the foil bag it says "use within a week of opening", which I have not done. I don't drink coffee that often, so how I can store the beans to keep them freshest?

kitchengoddess8 said:
I bought some Organic Mexican coffee beans at Starbucks and grind a little every time I make a cup. On the foil bag it says "use within a week of opening", which I have not done. I don't drink coffee that often, so how I can store the beans to keep them freshest?

I keep mine tightly closed in the fridge, in their original container, then in a ziplock. We don't drink much coffee either, and our coffee stays nice and fresh. I have also kept them in the freezer, again in an airtight container. I ordered a specialty blend some years ago, and that was what the website recommended.

Last edited:
I store my whole beans in vacuum sealed ziplock bags in the freezer.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to vacuum pack foods. Will it work to store the beans in a mason jar in the fridge without vacuum packing them?

kitchengoddess8 said:
Unfortunately I don't have anything to vacuum pack foods. Will it work to store the beans in a mason jar in the fridge without vacuum packing them?

It should, I use a chip clip on the top of the original bag, then store in a ziplock, squeezing out all the air. Some pill bottles have food grade antidessicant packs, you could throw one of those in there too. I've never had a problem keeping my coffee beans fresh tasting.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between a mason jar and an ordinary glass jar? I have an old sauerkraut jar that I washed in the dishwasher. Will that do if I decide to use a jar instead of keeping them in the bag?

I always store coffee beans and ground coffee in the freezer. I usually put them in a plastic jar, because the plastic jars don't feel as cold to my fingers. I don't find there is any need to thaw the beans before grinding them.

If you keep coffee in the freezer, it is probably best to not go into it daily. Condensation forms on the beans each time the container is opened. My grinder holds a half pound, and I store the other half of a pound in a ceramic canister. I do not notice any degradation. Beans should be good for a couple of weeks, ground a couple of days at most.

No, canister sits on the counter. A pound of coffee last me less than three weeks.

Also note that a lot of coffee in supermarkets is well past its prime when you purchase it. I buy from large companies that roast daily.

If you keep coffee in the freezer, it is probably best to not go into it daily. Condensation forms on the beans each time the container is opened. My grinder holds a half pound, and I store the other half of a pound in a ceramic canister. I do not notice any degradation. Beans should be good for a couple of weeks, ground a couple of days at most.

I open my jar, take out the beans, then shut it and put it back in the freezer. I have never noticed any condensation on the beans. I know that if I don't put it back quickly enough some condensation forms on the jar, 'cause it gets frozen shut. :ermm:

I store my coffee beans in a ceramic container made for storing coffee beans. This container sits in a kitchen cupboard.:chef:

Coffee beans come in a bag with a breather valve built in. It's best to keep them in that bag because they start expelling gases as soon as they're roasted. If you don't think you'll consume all the coffee within a few days, freeze the whole bag.

I store my coffee beans in a ceramic container made for storing coffee beans. This container sits in a kitchen cupboard.:chef:

Hit the nail on the head. To maintain absolute best quality roasted beans should be kept in a dry, cool, dark, place.

Since coffee beans are porous in nature, the moisture absorbed during a stretch in the freezer or refrigerator will destroy the essential oils in the bean. They can also absorb other flavors and odors like seafood under these conditions.:ermm:

Even under the best conditions roasted whole bean coffee has a limited shelf life. Modern technology gives us a short addition to natural shelf life with one-way valves and vapor barrier bags but this provides only a little extra. As mentioned in an earlier post, as soon as the bean is roasted it starts out-gassing and losing flavor compounds in the process.

Storage rule of thumb:
Green = 2 years
Roasted whole bean = 2 weeks
Ground = 2 hours
Whenever possible buy your coffee from a local roaster and look for a "roasted on" date. Or better yet, roast it yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom