Black tea - What is your favourite type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a small, weabout 2 cups size, porcelan(suramic?) tea pot. I just put dry loose tea leaves inside and poor hot water over it. I make it very strong. Then when I am ready to drink tea I just put some in my cup and add hot water. Of course it could be kept hot or warm, but I do not like scalding hot tea so if it is cold it's even better. Just like in the olden days, before tea bags. ;)

I have a small, weabout 2 cups size, porcelan(suramic?) tea pot. I just put dry loose tea leaves inside and poor hot water over it. I make it very strong. Then when I am ready to drink tea I just put some in my cup and add hot water. Of course it could be kept hot or warm, but I do not like scalding hot tea so if it is cold it's even better. Just like in the olden days, before tea bags. ;)

That's what people told me before. How much loose tea for the 2 cups of water? How long does it have to steep? Should I put the tea in another container after it has steeped or just leave it with the tea leaves?

I have tried making it and just wasn't right.

I put a lot. I like my tea strong. No tea bag comes close to how strong I make. Unless maybe it is Red Rose from Canada. I think that's the name, it is very strong tea. You just have to play around to get what you want/like. I like to heat up the pot first. Preferably right from dishwasher, or run very hot water for few minutes, or depending on your regular tea pot (or whatever you using to boil water) you can set your small tea pot on the top and heat it up that way. Then I add loose tea and poor water that is just starts boiling, not boiling water. Then I cover the small pot with couple of towels to keep hot as long as possible. You can get small, tiny sieve/colander that fits right inside the spout so the leaves will not end up in your tea, personally I do not mind if there are some in my cup.

Perhaps one's preference for types of tea and brewing strengths might be influenced by such variables as whether it is consumed-
. with a sweetener
. with milk or cream
. with lemon
. 'neat'

i don't drink tea ( and I'm british ) but my favorite is lapsang souchon if I do brew some ,mostly I use it for tea smoke in the wok ,Bolas de fraile uses it for trout,I use it for pork mostly ,rice ,brown sugar, star anice,cinnamon,black tea.lapang has a nice smoky flavour. Gage
Good Stuff fellow brit, did you ever smoke tea instead of Tobacco ?

Tea for Two padeswood 059.jpg

Sunday is a day that reminds me of my favorite thing about black tea. My husband brings it to me in bed every Sunday morning. He prepares it with love in one of my tea for one pots and brings it up to the bedside table for me. And as some of you know...my mom and I used to have a cup if tea across the miles on the phone before her passing. I LOVE a good cup of tea.
That is an amazing relationship you had with your mother when she was alive, Chopper. Were you always so close, even during your childhood and teens? I hope, I will have a relationship like that with my daughter when she grows up.

by the way ,molecular gastronomer" Herve This "says to try an experiment. pour tea into a cup ,taste it, add milk ,taste it again,into another cup add milk,then pour the tea ,taste it ,you will notice a big difference. I read about this a while ago and didn't go and reread it but i think it was the tea added to milk that lost it's bitter taste. gage

for whatever reason I just can't do Black teas other then Chai. I've gone through a lot of them hoping it would happen but every time I drink black tea im just not as impressed as I am with my greens. Had a friend hook me up with lady and earl grey, prepared it three different ways; clean, milk, milk and sugar...and was just..meh.

now green tea...
some Japanese Pan Fried...well im on my 4 glass of it this morning if that says anything.

for whatever reason I just can't do Black teas other then Chai. I've gone through a lot of them hoping it would happen but every time I drink black tea im just not as impressed as I am with my greens. Had a friend hook me up with lady and earl grey, prepared it three different ways; clean, milk, milk and sugar...and was just..meh.

now green tea...
some Japanese Pan Fried...well im on my 4 glass of it this morning if that says anything.

I love a good cup of Genmaicha!

A good cup of tea is so comforting. I like to be able to sit & relax to enjoy a good cup of tea. I don't drink it as often as I should. Life gets so hectic sometimes. I drink tea mostly just on vacation.

Mel! said:
That is an amazing relationship you had with your mother when she was alive, Chopper. Were you always so close, even during your childhood and teens? I hope, I will have a relationship like that with my daughter when she grows up.

My mom and I always had something special! She was an amazing woman. Everyone she met was treated like gold. I strive daily to be half the woman she was. Thanks for asking. I wish I could introduce you all to her. She would have loved this forum and others like it. I just didn't discover it until after she was gone. I felt like I was Mom's favorite, but so did everyone else. She had a gift to make us all feel special. We called her a saint at the funeral.

Back
Top Bottom