Bottled Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplicity

Sous Chef
I keep a small amount of bottled water on hand as part of a food "first-aid" kit. I haven't used any for a long time.

Tomorrow I'm going on a 3-4 hour trek. It is hot. I thought I'd take a couple of bottles with me to keep hydrated.

The 20 oz bottles are from Sam's Club (Wal-Mart). Stamped right below the cap is a notice that they expired in March 2008.

Are they safe? What's with an expiration date on bottled water?

I tend to think some of it is a marketing ploy. To make you use more of the product. I do think that the water should keep well if properly stored in a cool place. But if it has been exposed to heat or anything like that, then I would stick to the exp date.

The water should be fine, but it may taste funny because it probably went flat with the loss of absorbed oxygen. That "air" is what helps give water a flavor.

I thought it was because of the plastic bottle, not the water inside. They tell people not to re-use them because they disintegrate. Or something like that. :)

I thought it was because of the plastic bottle, not the water inside. :)
Actually it is kind of both. Water bottles were not designed for long-term storage. I'm actually storing water in glass jars and causing a vacuum-seal to see if there is an improvement in the taste after a long period of storage.

I'm also experimenting with making water pouches using my FoodSaver and "pint" pouches, sealing only, that go into my emergency 72-hour kit. These can easily be recycled every 6-12 months to keep it fresh.

Thank you for your responses. I was afraid the plastic container might contaminate the water.

It's only 3 months past expiration. I can deal with flat, warm water to drink. It's a whole lot better than no water at all.

i drink lots of water. i only buy it about every two months.

i use the empty bottle for filtered tap water, cooled in the fridg. the bottles are so flimsy these days, that you must throw them away every once in a while and start over.

brand name doesn't mean anything to me, just buy the cheapest for supply of bottles.

to lazy to go see brand of my filter, but i know doing this saves a lot of money.

babe:idea:

I wouldn't drink it. Why? Because with Y2K, my boss had me buy stacks of cases of bottled water. Some months later we had customers in and offered water. There were these strange floaties (flakes) in the bottles (Nicolet Artesian Water). The beverage service we used investigated, traced the bottle codes and said bottled water has no preservatives, and that we SHOULD mind the expiration date. Who knew?

I wouldn't drink it. Why? Because with Y2K, my boss had me buy stacks of cases of bottled water. Some months later we had customers in and offered water. There were these strange floaties (flakes) in the bottles (Nicolet Artesian Water). The beverage service we used investigated, traced the bottle codes and said bottled water has no preservatives, and that we SHOULD mind the expiration date. Who knew?

Okay, now I'm rethinking. My bottle contents says "purified by reverse osmosis filtration or distillation and enhanced with minerals for a more pure taste".

The front of the bottle says "Purified Drinking Water with flavor enhancing minerals".

I buy. We can't drink our water here. Smells like an over chlorinated pool, blah
for our coffee pot, I just buy store brand drinking water. For us to drink, dh and ds loe Deja Blue and I drink Fruit 2 o tropical fruit flavor.

I buy. We can't drink our water here. Smells like an over chlorinated pool, blah
for our coffee pot, I just buy store brand drinking water. For us to drink, dh and ds loe Deja Blue and I drink Fruit 2 o tropical fruit flavor.

Hi Stacy,

I do buy and drink bottled water, although we do try to use the filtration pitcher at work and home whenever possible. I didn't mean to mislead anybody ... I just wouldn't drink the outdated water bottles that OP asked about. Those were flakes of mold in the bottles at work.

Yea, I don't think it is so much the water as the cheap bottles. However, if they added minerals and what not to it with no preservatives or emulsifiers you may be seeing that stuff 'settle' back out of the water.
If the water is still clear then go ahead and use it, worse case scenario it will be flat and warm, but like you said better than nothing. Either that or dump em out before the hike and re-fill with filtered water or tap water.

Hi Stacy,

I do buy and drink bottled water, although we do try to use the filtration pitcher at work and home whenever possible. I didn't mean to mislead anybody ... I just wouldn't drink the outdated water bottles that OP asked about. Those were flakes of mold in the bottles at work.

No, I know there are lots of people that won't buy water unless they are out and about. Just putting my reason why I buy.;)

I predicted it a year ago, and it has happened:

CARBONATED
, FLAVORED WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you say SODA???

Sure you can.

Don't forget to consider the environmental impact of bottled water! The water that comes out of your tap has to meet stricter regulations than that which comes in bottles! I'd suggest buying a reusable bottle or two and re-filling that.

Don't forget to consider the environmental impact of bottled water! The water that comes out of your tap has to meet stricter regulations than that which comes in bottles! I'd suggest buying a reusable bottle or two and re-filling that.

that's what i do seans, people think they are getting filtered tap water. some even refill the bottles with setting on for the filter. there can be no difference in the plain tap or the filtered? water. it is all in the head . lol the filter hasn't worked in a year.

babe:LOL:

water

i settle water from water fountains. but if i have to buy it would be ethos water.

I heard somewhere that bottled water wasn't as safe as tap because there is no organization to monitor the practices of the companies that produce bottled water.

Back
Top Bottom