"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
Master Chef

I don't know if anyone remembers Postum, but I have been drinking it for years. Now all of a sudden no stores in town are selling it.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #22
Sous Chef

We drink 'Nescafe' and if cold coffe then 'Bru'

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
It's Starbucks here. DH makes the lattes with Starbucks vanilla and caramel syrups and milk. I occasionally have Foldgers Breakfast blend since it's very mild and versatile. I can add vanilla and cinnamon flavors to change it a bit.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #24
Master Chef

I've tried Millstone , Hawaiian from Sam's club, didn't care for either of them. I find Gevalia is the smoothest coffee for me.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

We like Millstone Columbian Supremo (whole beans). It's rich but not bitter.

Just bought a bag of Kirkland Columbian Supremo beans. Interested in seeing how they taste.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
Cook

Lavazza - couldn't function without it!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers Postum, but I have been drinking it for years. Now all of a sudden no stores in town are selling it.
I read somewhere that they stopped making Postum.

I have been drinking Seattle's Best Henry's brand lately and Target (Archer Farms) Kenyan AA. I don't have a brand that I am loyal to as I like to dabble with different types.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

There are many good brands and blends of coffee out there. There is no doubt starbucks has a unique roasting method that not any other brand I've found will equal, if you like that particular starbucks flavor. However, there are MANY varieties I actually prefer over starbucks.

One note however, freshness is key to a good cup of coffee, well that and brewing temperture. One thing to remember is that after coffee is ground, it should really be brewed as soon as possible. Ground coffee is comparible to a cut apple (just harder because you cant SEE it happening). Once coffee is ground, you have about 15 minutes before oxidation sets in, and starts tainting the flavor of the coffee, just like an apple starting to turn brown.

The other thing is temperature. To get THE best cup, coffee should be brewed at between 195 and 200 degrees F. And also the brew process should take approx 3 min from first water contact to last flow of water. This ensures the oils and flavors of the coffee are properly extracted, so a decent coffee maker does make a difference if care was put into the design of the brew process, and not only the looks of the exterior of the machine.

It does get alot more complicated than this, but thats a good start. Get a grinder, grind your own, get the freshest coffee possible, and you might find you can get a much better cup of coffee right at home, than starbucks can do anytime.

Have fun!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

And get a Chemex brewer, Aero press brewer, French press, Moka pot, et al and get crazy. Hmmm, Maybe that is why I don't seem to have a standard brand.

I probably missed many choices. Only by being forgetful. Coffee time is play time.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #30
Executive Chef

We like several of the Cosco roasts including the Columbian, the Guatemalan, and the green bag roasted by Starbucks. Also have a chef friend who roasts his own and is always passing some on to me in exchange for my deer jerky.