"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I have to say I have been drinking 8'oclock coffee from A&P for years and really love it. When I have company over, they always ask what kind of coffee it and that they love it.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by km1127 View Post
I have to say I have been drinking 8'oclock coffee from A&P for years and really love it. When I have company over, they always ask what kind of coffee it and that they love it.

ARen't you something? My mother loved that coffee too! Just gave me idea to go get some. Since that brand has been around so long, so many people must think the same way you do. Thank you so very much. Oh, I considered her opinion as tops. She could really cook too. All she did most of her life. Worked in home for wealthy people when she first moved to city from the farm.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers Postum, but I have been drinking it for years. Now all of a sudden no stores in town are selling it.
Postum is not coffee. It's a coffee substitute, made from wheat, bran, molasses and corn syrup solids. I understand it was quite popular during World War II, when transportation of coffee beans was a bit difficult.

There are two types of coffee beans: Robusto and Arabica. The aribica beans are the good, expensive ones, which companies like Starbucks, Gevalia, and Peets roast to make their coffees, and charge you $10 to $14 a pound for. The robusto beans are much cheaper and they're used by Folgers, Maxwell House, Chase & Sanborn, Yuban, and Chock Full O' Nuts to make their coffees, and charge you 3 or 4 bucks a pound for.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by km1127 View Post
I didn't even know there were still A&Ps around any more. I can remember going to the A&P with my father on Saturdays when I was but a mere child to do the grocery shopping, and the whole place always smelled from the coffee, which you bought in whole bean form and fed through the huge grinder right in the store.

After shooping we'd rush home to watch Red Ryder on television. You betchem, Red Ryder!