Chai Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, I do not know the ingredients. But the first time I ordered one n an internet cafe just to see what it was like... it BURNED my upper chest like bigtime heartburn. :shock: Needless to say I have never ordered another.

Maybe its my age. :oops:

Here is a good recipe for Chai. I use this at home and have seen my parents use this for years and years.

5 tea bags (Dargeeling tea is fine). I prefer loose tea but if you can't find it bags will do fine. If you do have lose tea use about 2.5 tsps
3 cups of water (I use mugs that I will serve the tea in)
1 can of evaporated milk (to make it rich and creamy)
1 tsp of cardmom powder (this is what makes it authentic). I normally get the cardamom and crush it in a mortar pestle or in a food processor wtih the skin and all. Use this in the chai for a wonderful flavor
1/2 tsp of freshly grated ginger (no powdered stuff the real deal)
sugar to your taste
A few mint leaves if you like the flavor of mint

In a saucepan, add the water. When the water boils add the tea bags or lose tea along with the ginger and cardamom. Let the tea boil rapidly. When the water turns a light brown color add sugar and milk can. Let it boil on medium heat for another 10 minutes. Add the mint and immediately strain and serve in large mugs.

I am not a tea drinker and prefer coffee but chai does taste wonderful on a cold fall or winter day or evening.

yuk, i don't like chai. it shouldn't be called a tea. it's made from bark and branches and sticks, maybe a few rocks for good measure. sierracook might be able to help you with that... :)

I love chai tea, but I can see why some don't, it's very um puddingy if you know what I mean. Not refreshing as such.

I cheat and use a Chai syrup, when I can get it, or ready prepared chai tea bags. I love the smell, I could wear it as perfume!

buckytom said:
yuk, i don't like chai. it shouldn't be called a tea. it's made from bark and branches and sticks, maybe a few rocks for good measure. sierracook might be able to help you with that... :)
Maybe from the archaeology dig...

I'm not a fan either, although my sis swears by it.
She puts vanilla syrup in it - says it makes it heavenly :)

Back
Top Bottom