Chemex Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
So an Erlenmeyer Flask and a funnel...I may have that in the back closet. Thanks for the info on the filters...I'm headed for Amazon!

I have fixed many cups of laboratory coffee, in many different vessels.

They wouldn't let me back into the chemistry department in college after the "incident" in Roberts hall. It was just a little smoke and it dissipated in a couple days. It was only a little toxic...the dean was so angry.

:)

They wouldn't let me back into the chemistry department in college after the "incident" in Roberts hall. It was just a little smoke and it dissipated in a couple days. It was only a little toxic...the dean was so angry.

:)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Dad worked for the Chemistry Department...we had run of the building and the stockroom....Dad had fun experiments for three little girls.

Melitta made a 4-cup pot with filter holder and lid. That's what we used in Germany. The Bodum was for tea. I picked up a Melitta at a flea market years ago. Even though I don't drink coffee anymore, I still have it for when friends who drink coffee come to the farm. I also have the "warmer stand." Once the coffee was ready, we'd light the tea light and put the Melitta on its stand on the table. That I bought in Germany. I always liked the coffee I made in my Melitta better than other coffee...

For years I have been using an old Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator. It's probably older than I am, and makes excellent coffee. As a result of another thread here on cone v. basket filter coffee makers, I dug out my old Chemex 13 cup. It had been in storage, and something had eaten the rawhide that holds the wooden handles in place. So....I de-contaminated the pot, refinished the wood, wrapped it up with a leather boot lace, and ordered filters. Am just enjoying the first cup of the first pot, of many to come. It makes damned fine coffee, and I am a snob. Roast my own in small batches, no more than three days worth at a time. The Drip-O-Lator is faster, as it has a seep plate. No standing over it, just dump and wait. But the Chemex filters are thicker than the 4 cup basket filters I use in the D-O-L, and make a cleaner tasting cup. I also have an old Proctor Silex warmer that uses a candle, and don't know if it will be OK for the Chemex, but I'll try it. I don't have a lid for the Chemex and I know they sell them, but for now I am using an orange. Seems to work OK.

Last edited:
We had a Chemex at work in 1962. The bottom chamber of the Chemex is a pain to mechanically clean. Even the porcelain cone of a Melitta requires occasional scrubbing to remove coffee residue but it's more accessible than Chemex's bottom chamber.

Clean it the way waitresses clean Bunn carafes...ice cubes, salt, vinegar and water. Swirl a few times, let sit, repeat and rinse. Or, use the special brush sold by Chemex to scrub it.

Last edited:
Thermal%20Stainless%20Pour%20Over%20-%20P.jpg
This is the Melita set up that I have. It's the same idea, including heavy special filters, only the carafe keeps the outstanding brew hot till it's gone, and nothing to break. I love it!

Last edited:
Thermal%20Stainless%20Pour%20Over%20-%20P.jpg
This is the Melita set up that I have. It's the same idea, including heavy special filters, only the carafe keeps the outstanding brew hot till it's gone, and nothing to break. I love it!
Thermal carafe? That'll keep the coffee from getting that cooked taste.

It's that simple. There is some technique to it but it's not hard. The filters are the key.

Intelligentsia Chemex Brewing Guide on Vimeo

very interesting chemex thread by .40, and your "intelligentsia" link, andy. this demo video is great fun with its high-steppin' musical cadence marching you smartly through the steps. i enjoyed it while sipping on my first piping hot mug of keurig's dark magic brew this morning.:) my bucket list has been amended as instructed, 40. thank you, 40 and andy....

very interesting chemex thread by .40, and your "intelligentsia" link, andy. this demo video is great fun with its high-steppin' musical cadence marching you smartly through the steps. i enjoyed it while sipping on my first piping hot mug of keurig's dark magic brew this morning.:) my bucket list has been amended as instructed, 40. thank you, 40 and andy....

I'm starting out today with a Dark Magic, too! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom