"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Do I understand how this works?

The filter and coffee go in the top. Hot water is poured in and the brewed coffee drains down into the bottom. Or am I missing something?
It's that simple. There is some technique to it but it's not hard. The filters are the key.

Intelligentsia Chemex Brewing Guide on Vimeo

Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
It's that simple. There is some technique to it but it's not hard. The filters are the key.

Intelligentsia Chemex Brewing Guide on Vimeo

The quality of the filter and the grind of the coffee seem to be paramount to the quality of the brew. Of course the quality of the coffee and the water temp are always key. What kind of a grind is used?

You could really do this with a funnel and carafe.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
The quality of the filter and the grind of the coffee seem to be paramount to the quality of the brew. Of course the quality of the coffee and the water temp are always key. What kind of a grind is used?

You could really do this with a funnel and carafe.
I use a Cuisinart burr grinder set a couple of clicks below medium. Water is just off the boil...about 200 degrees. The design started in a chemistry lab with a flask and a funnel!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Didn't Melita sell a cone and filter unit you placed on top of your coffee cup and poured hot water through about a hundred years ago or so?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Didn't Melita sell a cone and filter unit you placed on top of your coffee cup and poured hot water through about a hundred years ago or so?
I remember those. Same principle. This is just a larger scale with better filtration. The 8 cup model makes about 40 ounces of coffee.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thanks for posting. I'm going to keep my eye out for one of these. Like you, I have tried just about everything else...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I remember those. Same principle. This is just a larger scale with better filtration. The 8 cup model makes about 40 ounces of coffee.
About how long does it take for 40 ounces of water to become 40 ounces of coffee?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
About how long does it take for 40 ounces of water to become 40 ounces of coffee?
Great question. They say it should take no longer than 4 minutes start to finish from the time the water first hits the coffee. This is dependent on the size of the grind. Too fine and the water won't drain well. To coarse and you don't get a good extraction.

Wet the grounds but don't let them float and let them "bloom" for 30 seconds. They will release gases during this time and expand.

Slowly fill the upper half of the brewer with water but don't overflow and let it drain. 1 minute 30 seconds.

Refill the upper half of the brewer with water and let it drain. By this time the filter is getting full of particulates and it takes a little longer. 2 minutes.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So an Erlenmeyer Flask and a funnel...I may have that in the back closet. Thanks for the info on the filters...I'm headed for Amazon!

I have fixed many cups of laboratory coffee, in many different vessels.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 AM   #20
Master Chef

This has been an interesting thread for me. A few weeks ago the heating unit on my coffee maker went so I tossed the machine. I kept the pot and the coffee basket. Now I guess I am using the Melitta method, with my scrap parts. It has worked so well that the few times I have been in a store that sells small appliances I forget to look for a new one. Eventually I will get one but, for now I am enjoying the extra counter space. I may go back to the pyrex percolator. The gentle sound and the aroma are very comforting while I stagger around the kitchen in my morning fog.

Tags
coffee