Cocoa with warm milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
My kids love cocoa with warm milk. I just warm the milk in the microwave and then add 1 teaspoon of cocoa and mix well. But I have a friend who tells me that drinking too much cocoa is not healthy for kids. She said she has read it before but couldn't remember now why it is not healthy. My boy could drink 2-3 cups per day. So does anyone here know anything about health hazards from drinking too much cocoa?

I'm guessing it has to do with extra calories or the extra sugar in the pre-packaged cocoa. I ran some Google searches and couldn't find anything.

Drinking too much cocoa isn't healthy for anyone. But, what is too much? The problem is the risk of theobromine poisoning.

You could get theobromine poisoning from too much chocolate. There's theobromine in tea as well.

My kids love cocoa with warm milk. I just warm the milk in the microwave and then add 1 teaspoon of cocoa and mix well. But I have a friend who tells me that drinking too much cocoa is not healthy for kids. She said she has read it before but couldn't remember now why it is not healthy. My boy could drink 2-3 cups per day. So does anyone here know anything about health hazards from drinking too much cocoa?

Give the kid his hot chocolate.

There's a better chance he'll get hit by lightening five days in a row before he suffers the ill effects of hot chocolate.

I've enjoyed 12 to 14 ounces of either hot or cold Ovaltine almost every day for pretty close to 60 years now, and it's only made me, IMHO, healthier.

I've enjoyed 12 to 14 ounces of either hot or cold Ovaltine almost every day for pretty close to 60 years now, and it's only made me, IMHO, healthier.

That doesn't even sound like a lot.

I think the possible problem with cocoa is in drinking enough to reach a toxic dosage. I haven't heard of any cumulative effect.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have made my search on google and couldn't find anything too, so I think I will give my kids the usual cups everyday.

Back
Top Bottom