"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Cook

Coconut water

I picked up a can of Grace Coconut water a few weeks back and found it to be a really nice refreshing drink.

I looked it up on google and found that it is touted as having many good health qualities.

In any case, last night I opened a can at 10:15 and drank half of it, and as I drank it all of a sudden I felt my hole body shudder. I am not sure if it was arthmia or what but my heart just started to race. I had not eaten or drinken anything for about 90 minutes prior to drinking the stuff.

I then went upstairs and my heart was just pounding like I had run a race.
I am 52 and in OK shape although I do like eating the odd junk food here and there. As I was washing up for bed, I could see my heart pumping through my T shirt and was a little alarmed as to what was happening.

I told my wife to feel my chest and she was alarmed, and I told her all I had was some coconut water. She was afraid, so I downplayed it.

I went to bed and as I lie there I started doing breathing exercises to try and slow this crazy high heart rate down. Eventually I nodded off and at 1 am I awoke and felt really weird. I had that feeling in my throat like I had just run 5 miles. I got up groggy and still felt the high heart rate and went downstairs and took 2 advils. I sat in bed for another 40 minutes and the Advil seemed to have done the trick.

So what the heck do you think happened?

Could it be the coconut water or some reaction to the coconut pulp mixed into it?

Today I was fine but I may never drink the stuff again.

whew

Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabagoo View Post
I picked up a can of Grace Coconut water a few weeks back and found it to be a really nice refreshing drink.

I looked it up on google and found that it is touted as having many good health qualities.

In any case, last night I opened a can at 10:15 and drank half of it, and as I drank it all of a sudden I felt my hole body shudder. I am not sure if it was arthmia or what but my heart just started to race. I had not eaten or drinken anything for about 90 minutes prior to drinking the stuff.

I am 52 and in OK shape although I do like eating the odd junk food here and there. As I was washing up for bed, I could see my heart pumping through my T shirt and was a little alarmed as to what was happening.

I told my wife to feel my chest and she was alarmed, and I told her all I had was some coconut water. She was afraid, so I downplayed it.

I went to bed and as I lie there I started doing breathing exercises to try and slow this crazy high heart rate down. Eventually I nodded off and at 1 am I awoke and felt really weird. I had that feeling in my throat like I had just run 5 miles. I got up groggy and still felt the high heart rate and went downstairs and took 2 advils. I sat in bed for another 40 minutes and the Advil seemed to have done the trick.

Could it be the coconut water or some reaction to the coconut pulp mixed into it?

whew

As a stranger with no medical training who knows absolutely nothing about you or your medical history, I can only draw one conclusion.

Call your doctor ASAP!!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I am in no way qualified to say that it sounds like you had a heart attack, but I agree with Andy that you should call your doctor right away. The coconut water could have nothing to do with it.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Cook

well I have been fine all day today. But yes I am going to go see the good ol doc and see what he says.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I doubt it had anything to do with the coconut water. I think it would be wise to visit the doctor ASAP.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Sous Chef

do you think the coconut water was bad or off?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Cook

I was thinking maybe I had a reaction to the coconut pilp in the water?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

if your heart is stressed, i'd highly advise getting a pro opinion on the double. i wouldn't wait for the appointment. the many reasons a ticker could be considered abnormal range so vastly that there isn't a beginning or an end that i myself could give.
also, there's food that give reactions- was there a caffienated drink or food, be that chocolate or be that a glass of pop? nicotine is stimulant, also. note anxiety or other stress symptoms, too- they often both result from anxiety & may result in further anxious symptoms.
jot into a notebook abnormalities when or if there is another. this gives the medical people more info for thier evaluation.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabagoo View Post

whew
This is really very strange. Because we frequently drink coconut water with pulp as a custom. Coconut water is a very soothing and cooling drink. But we always have fresh coconut. May be canned coconut water causes this problem.

In the villages of Bengal people welcome their guests with fresh coconut water, because it cools our body after coming from hot sun.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Maybe its an allergic reaction to the coconut water..i agree that the its better to drink the fresh one than the canned ones..did u check date of the can?maybe it's expired or something