"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Head Chef

My favorite coffee is Starbucks vanilla latte.

At home now I have Folgers and 8 O'clock hazelnut and a drip coffee maker. I've been trying different varieties of coffees lately. I used to get regular 8 O'clock coffee beans and ground them myself. It was good, but I found myself waiting till I got to work to get coffee because grinding the beans got a little old.

No matter the coffee I will always put Coffee Mate french vanilla creamer in it, sometimes I get caramel nut though.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

We have recently tried a new coffee that my wife really likes. I think it is called Millstone. We get it at BJ's. The first time we got it my wife was not crazy about it, but she is chalking that up to user error. She really likes it now.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
We have recently tried a new coffee that my wife really likes. I think it is called Millstone. We get it at BJ's. The first time we got it my wife was not crazy about it, but she is chalking that up to user error. She really likes it now.
Is it plain Millstone coffee? I have seen that in a bunch of stores.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Yes it is, at least I am pretty sure that is the name.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Drip coffee, black. I prefer Peet's or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf but will drink Starbuck's French roast in a pinch. I don't like any of the overly sweet milkshake concoctions so popular now.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
What's up with the Starbuck's coffees and our ordinary store bought auto drip coffees? I do notice a difference in better taste and less bitterness, Starbuck's taking the lead. I would like to find something similar but more affordable. I will look for Millstone.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I like my coffee strong, black, and hot. I prefer the darker roasts. I drink quite a bit in the morning, but rarely after lunch. I don't care for coffee with any meal other than breakfast. Occasionally I order espresso after dinner.

I usually buy Peet's, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Seattle's Best, or Starbucks, whichever is on sale at the supermarket. I buy ground coffee because I'm too lazy to clean the grinder. I don't find all that much difference between pre-ground and whole beans if the coffee is stored properly once the bag is opened (in a large baggie in the freezer).

I think I'm drinking Peet's French Roast this morning (the original bag is gone). There's also some unopened Seattle's Best and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in the pantry, both French Roast.

As for "coffee" with whipped cream, caramel syrup, and other adulterants, those drinks make me feel ill -- they're milkshakes masquerading as coffee, with up to 750 calories, 119 grams of sugar, and 25 grams of fat each, according to Starbucks' website. That's not a drink, it's a meal, and not a particularly healthful one at that. It's OK as an occasional treat, but I know too many people who have one every day and then wonder why they gain weight.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
I don't find all that much difference between pre-ground and whole beans if the coffee is stored properly once the bag is opened (in a large baggie in the freezer).
Actually the freezer is not recommended for coffee storage (even by Starbucks employees). The professionals suggest coffee be kept in a cool dark area, but not the fridge or freezer as that contributes to condensation forming on the coffee itself which is not good.

That being said, for most of my coffee drinking time I used to keep it in the freezer and never had a problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Actually the freezer is not recommended for coffee storage (even by Starbucks employees). The professionals suggest coffee be kept in a cool dark area, but not the fridge or freezer as that contributes to condensation forming on the coffee itself which is not good.

That being said, for most of my coffee drinking time I used to keep it in the freezer and never had a problem.
I think the zip-lock baggie helps. I've never noticed any condensation in the coffee, which I presume would cause it to lump together. In any case, I suspect that oxidation and dehydration are bigger problems than moisture. Like you, I've never had a problem, and I'm convinced that the cold temperature better preserves the ground coffee.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I may be wrong about the condensation part. That seemed a little strange to me as I was typing it even. The explanation came from Alton Brown, but I have since forgotten exactly what he said.

I did check his info with some other professionals though because as much as I enjoy AB and have learned a lot from him, his info sometimes is not always 100% accurate. The others confirmed that Alton was right in what he said.

But it basically just comes down to whatever you find works best for you. If you have never had a problem with it being in the freezer and the quality when you are drinking it is what you want then you are doing something right.