Coffee break!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina said:
So I'm on the right track GB. Would it be best to store the whole beans rather than ground? I've heard that coffee tastes better by grinding the beans right before brewing.

I purchase small bags of whole beans and grind them just before brewing. This makes a much better coffee inmy opinion. I like Korona Coffee.

skilletlicker said:
There aren't too many of us home roasters around. Sweet Maria's is a great source of both coffee and information. How do you roast your beans and how, and for how long, do you store them?

We have a Swissmar Alpenroaster, drum style. Love it! We roast about a half a pound at a time - it usually lasts about 3 days. How about you????:)

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to this thread. Coffee to me is utilitarian - wakes me up in the morning and after 2 cups I'm done and ready to go.

Harborwitch said:
We have a Swissmar Alpenroaster, drum style. Love it! We roast about a half a pound at a time - it usually lasts about 3 days. How about you????:)
I use a frying pan and roast a half cup at a time which, since I live alone and only drink one mug a day, lasts me about a week. I described the method on this site here.

Interesting. We did find that the Zambian we got improved much over time. It is best on about the third or fourth day. On this one we roast 2 batches so that it'll last.

BangBang,
No time for grinding coffee here. I'm a mess when I wake up (or more like sleep walk to my coffeemaker). I can hardly get the scoop of coffee in the darn filter after spilling half of the water in the tank.

BIL got us a bag of Starbucks Columbia Nariño Supremo. It's not bad; one cup of that stuff and you're up and running the whole day.

Last edited:
I Drink Half Calf Folgers... Also General Foods International
Swiss Mocha,don't Have A Star Bucks In My Area So No Special
Coffees For Me...but I Love Coffee
I Like Irish Cream Creamer In Mine :)

I prefer a Costa Rican blend I get from a local beanery...

I have one of those coffee pots that grinds the beans, shoots them into the basket and then drips the filtered water through. The whole process takes about 30 seconds to grind and another 4-8 minutes for coffee, depending on how many cups you are making. I think Cuisinart makes the pot.

It is by far the best cup of coffee I've ever had from a home machine.

I take mine with light cream and two scant sugars.

mudbug said:
I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to this thread. Coffee to me is utilitarian - wakes me up in the morning and after 2 cups I'm done and ready to go.

You remind me of my (ex)husband! He never really liked the taste of coffee...still doesn't as far as I know.
He drinks it to get things moving...:-pif you know what I mean. He drinks instant, too:sick:. When he and I seperated, I helped him to pack some kitchen things...and I stuck the jar of Nescafe in with the stuff he wanted. hehehe, I had no use for it. But, still, he's just one cup in the morning, and then he's ready to go:LOL:

Today my hubby and I swung by Starbucks for a picker upper and I asked how much the coffee bean bags run for. $10-12! :ohmy: Compared to store bought it's a big difference.

Dina said:
Today my hubby and I swung by Starbucks for a picker upper and I asked how much the coffee bean bags run for. $10-12! :ohmy: Compared to store bought it's a big difference.
Supermarket carries Starbucks, as well as Peet's (my preference) and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (good choice, too) and their own house brand (in a pinch). Several varieties, both in whole bean and ground. Usually one of them is on sale for $9.99 or even $8.99 a pound.

We find that one bag lasts about a week, making one 12-cup pot (not "real" cups but coffee-maker cups, which I think are 6 ounces) each morning. We make it pretty strong, about 2/3 cup of grounds to a pot. Still, that works out to only about $1.40 a pot, and to me, that's well worth the price because unlike VeraBlue's ex, I care about what I put in my mouth.

I really don't like most "regular" coffees, such as Foldger's, Maxwell House, or even Yuban -- I find them either flat, bland, or tasting like cardboard -- but I drink them when the good stuff isn't available.

I'm sure most of us care about what we put in our mouths FryBoy. I, for one, like a good strong coffee in the morning and I've found only two that pass the tasting test for me: Starbuck's Columbia or Brazilian and Millstone Columbia Supremo. We once got some wonderful Cuban coffee in Tampa and that was wonderful too.

Dina

My Krups coffee machine fell on the ktchen floor and it broke in pieces. Even the glass pot broke. It took me hours to clean up all the glass from the floor.

Right now I am drinking Nescafe Taster's Choice Gournet Roast and it is really good.

Jill and Jolie

I'm so sorry Jill and Jolie. Oh, and those are quite pricey! Darn! Hope you are able to replace it soon. My DH was hooked on Nescafe. It's not bad at all.

skilletlicker said:
I doubt price is the primary consideration in coffee selection but, since the subject has come up, I usually pay around $5 per pound but I'm thinking about splurging on some $6 Guatemala Antigua Peaberry beans.

Yes I feel price is primary consideration and never

to compromise on the modest thing.

I know some coffee lovers who would be thrilled with that gift! Especially if there’s something a little bit special about the beans (organic / imported / exotic in some other way… but not flavoured if they’re coffee snobs).

Alright ya'll. Got us a coffee bean grinder, Starbuck's bold espresso beans, caramel syrup and we're in heaven with our caramel capuccinos. DH has become the expert in making them. All the credit goes to him cause I'm still working on getting the milk to froth. Hee hee

Back
Top Bottom