"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
Today my hubby and I swung by Starbucks for a picker upper and I asked how much the coffee bean bags run for. $10-12! Compared to store bought it's a big difference.
Supermarket carries Starbucks, as well as Peet's (my preference) and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (good choice, too) and their own house brand (in a pinch). Several varieties, both in whole bean and ground. Usually one of them is on sale for $9.99 or even $8.99 a pound.

We find that one bag lasts about a week, making one 12-cup pot (not "real" cups but coffee-maker cups, which I think are 6 ounces) each morning. We make it pretty strong, about 2/3 cup of grounds to a pot. Still, that works out to only about $1.40 a pot, and to me, that's well worth the price because unlike VeraBlue's ex, I care about what I put in my mouth.

I really don't like most "regular" coffees, such as Foldger's, Maxwell House, or even Yuban -- I find them either flat, bland, or tasting like cardboard -- but I drink them when the good stuff isn't available.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #52
Head Chef

I doubt price is the primary consideration in coffee selection but, since the subject has come up, I usually pay around $5 per pound but I'm thinking about splurging on some $6 Guatemala Antigua Peaberry beans.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm sure most of us care about what we put in our mouths FryBoy. I, for one, like a good strong coffee in the morning and I've found only two that pass the tasting test for me: Starbuck's Columbia or Brazilian and Millstone Columbia Supremo. We once got some wonderful Cuban coffee in Tampa and that was wonderful too.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #54
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
When I want regular coffee I drink Community Coffee & chickory blend, my favorite flavored coffee is New England Coffee's blueberry cobbler. I normally have mine with just cream unless it's the bluberry cobbler, then I add a little sugar. It really brings out the blueberry flavor. http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/coff...ffee/index.asp
Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #55
Head Chef

Smile Dina

My Krups coffee machine fell on the ktchen floor and it broke in pieces. Even the glass pot broke. It took me hours to clean up all the glass from the floor.

Right now I am drinking Nescafe Taster's Choice Gournet Roast and it is really good.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I'm so sorry Jill and Jolie. Oh, and those are quite pricey! Darn! Hope you are able to replace it soon. My DH was hooked on Nescafe. It's not bad at all.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I doubt price is the primary consideration in coffee selection but, since the subject has come up, I usually pay around $5 per pound but I'm thinking about splurging on some $6 Guatemala Antigua Peaberry beans.
Yes I feel price is primary consideration and never

to compromise on the modest thing.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #58
Cook

Trader Joes Bay Blend is awesome!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #59
Assistant Cook

I know some coffee lovers who would be thrilled with that gift! Especially if there’s something a little bit special about the beans (organic / imported / exotic in some other way… but not flavoured if they’re coffee snobs).
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Alright ya'll. Got us a coffee bean grinder, Starbuck's bold espresso beans, caramel syrup and we're in heaven with our caramel capuccinos. DH has become the expert in making them. All the credit goes to him cause I'm still working on getting the milk to froth. Hee hee