"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #71
Head Chef

Fisher's Mom, I'm right there with you on the heavy cream. A rare treat for me is a double shot of espresso with a hefty shot of cream. No sugar. Mmmmm. Here in Mexico, they grow coffee mainly in Chiapas and Oaxaca, as well as our home state of Nayarit. I don't think the coffee I buy from Compostela, Nayarit ever makes it out of the region. It is grown and roasted by a small cooperative of families and is sold locally. But here is a link to lots of information about Chiapas coffees, which are rich, dark and wonderful:
Café MAM ORGANIC COFFEE Welcome to the world of good coffee. It is very rewarding - I sure am glad I married a man who loves coffee as much as I do!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #72
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren
Thanks for the friendly welcome. Sounds like you had a nice time in Hawaii - I've never been there, and I have never had the pleasure of drinking real Kona coffee...do they roast it dark? The best coffee I have tasted here is from Compostela and is tiny little peaberry beans. It is not at all acidic, but has a very unique fragrance and taste. Mexico is hooked on caramel (cajeta), so there are many choices here for caramel syrup. Lots of shelf space in the grocery store...Hershey's Dulce de Leche seems popular. When I was still back in the states, I used to buy caramel in a can (Nestles) at the Mexican grocery. It is thick and gooey, very very tasty. If you really want to get decadent, you can eat it with a spoon! I used it for caramel macchiatos, but had to warm it up first to get it thin enough to pour. Hope everyone has a nice Saturday...be sure to include a good cup of coffee to make it bright!
Karen,
They do roast it dark in Hawaii. It's a bold coffee bean sold in varieties of 10% kona mixed with other coffees and 100% kona. It beats Starbucks for me anytime. Hey, I'll need to try cajeta again soon on my coffee. They have a variety of brands here at our grocery store (since we're 5 minutes from the Mexican border) we're bound to have lots of Mexican food items. Which would you recommend?