"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Coffee break!

Mmmm, I just love coffee, it's aroma, taste and effects. My favorite is Brazilian Starbucks ground for espresso, with heavy cream, powder cream, sugar and a hint of caramel sauce. Now, we have auto drip ground Hawaiian coffee in our cupboard and it's absolutely delicious too.

I was wondering what coffees everyone has in their cupboards, pantries, refrigerators, etc. Which is your favorite brand, flavor, etc.? Which do you prefer, i.e. cappucino, espresso, latte, auto drip, instant? Just come on in here and let's chit chat while sharing a cup of coffee.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I have starbucks Breakfast blend (for morning) and Starbucks decaf House Blend (for later). I also have something big and cheap from Costco, but I forget what its called. I have my coffee all different ways, but lately I've been lazy so I've just been adding milk and sugar and thats all.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We drink Yuban during the week with vanilla cream.
On Sundays if we are in town we go to Starbucks and I have a tall white mocha *some times with caramel* or sometimes I'm good and have a fat free white mocha with no whip... Paul has a short mocha or a tall drip with lots of cream and sugar.

I've been craving coffee in the afternoons lately and picked up
some Folgers Coffee Singles classic roast... NOW remembering that I hate iinstant coffee... these are not half bad. They are great to take backpacking too. Quick and easy.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
On Sundays if we are in town we go to Starbucks and I have a tall white mocha *some times with caramel*
One time I got a white mocha with caramel thinking it sounded like a yummy and unique combination, but I actually found it disgusting and didn't drink that much of it. I was with my friend and she didn't like it either. But to each their own. I do love toffee nut white mochas though. The Toffee Nut syrup at Starbucks is my favorite and I think its extremly underrated.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's ok banana.. I love them and will drink them for you!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Paul has a short mocha or a tall drip with lots of cream and sugar.
Sounds like my husband - caramel macchiato with lots of cream and sugar. I try to be good too sometimes but don't care for the low cal coffees.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i hate regular coffee, to the point where i need therapy (see explanation *), but i love a good espresso or real irish coffee after a large meal.

* my brother, 16 years my senior, used to hold me down and breathe morning/coffee breath in my face when i was a kid. i've since despised the smell of coffee. abhorrance to morning breath is a given.

but a really good cuppa espresso, with a little dolce to offset the dark roasted flavor (not bitter. bitter is bad), and a snifter of amaretto, 'buca, or gran marnier to round it out, is a great ending to a feast.
maybe a 7 x 34 cigar, dipped in the snifter to go with the 'spresso on a warm breezy night.

the only other way i'll drink coffee is irish, which is about 50/50 coffee and whiskey, preferrably jameson's, with a little blended or lightly whipped heavy cream.
no sugar, or sweet whipped cream from a can, and especially no creme de menthe!!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
Head Chef

My taste in coffee is pretty simple; black and drip brewed. What I enjoy is the variations of home roasting different beans. At the moment I have seven varieties from Central and South America, Africa, and Indonesia. If anyone is interested Sweet Maria's is a good informative source of green coffee beans.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I drink Colombian coffee as a regular coffee, with espresso or Blue Mountain Jamaican for after dinner. I used to make it in a drip coffee maker, but always use a cafetiere nowadays. Takeaway coffees that I buy from little coffee shops locally are usually Illy coffee.

Oh and I love Turkish or Greek coffees - little cups like espresso with the thick grounds that you mustn't disturb at the bottom of each cup. But with no sugar... my Greek friends think I'm odd not adding sugar.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I have quit drinking coffee on a regular basis after being a loyal coffee drinker for many years. I will still have the occasional cup, usually on vacation or a weekend though. My wife on the other hand...well they say you are what you eat so she must be a coffee bean.

I take mine black. I like the taste of the coffee, not the taste of cream or sugar or anything else that people put in it. DW takes hers with cream and sugar (or sugar substitute more accurately).

I really love Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, but we usually just get Dunkin Donuts or a supermarket brand. i used to love Dunkins coffee, but they have gone way downhill. Actually I think it has been many years since their coffee was really anything special.

We use a drip coffee maker with an insulated thermos style carafe. It keeps the coffee hot and fresh for 4 hours, seriously. OK after 3 hours it does start to cool a little, but not much.