"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
Flour Child

Has anyone ever heard of putting salt in the coffee gounds before brewing? Is it a southern thing? I just read that southerners do this but they didn't say anything else about it. I never heard this before. Sounds dreadful but perhaps there's something magical about it. It must be about bringing out the flavor?

Maybe I should do it and that might answer my question.

Nothing like adding something else unhealthy in there. I already add Vanilla International Creamer.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Has anyone ever heard of putting salt in the coffee gounds before brewing? Is it a southern thing? I just read that southerners do this but they didn't say anything else about it. I never heard this before. Sounds dreadful but perhaps there's something magical about it. It must be about bringing out the flavor?

Maybe I should do it and that might answer my question.

Nothing like adding something else unhealthy in there. I already add Vanilla International Creamer.
It's not just a southern thing, it's suppose to remove the bitter taste... Never tried it so I don't know...

If you like the vanilla creamer Mollyanne, try adding a little vanilla to your coffee grounds before brewing... It's less fattening...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #33
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
If you like the vanilla creamer Mollyanne, try adding a little vanilla to your coffee grounds before brewing... It's less fattening...
Do you mean like vanilla extract or that clear kind of vanilla flavoring?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #34
Head Chef

Vanilla extract, my shop teacher taught me that trick back in high school... so long ago...
Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
It's not just a southern thing, it's suppose to remove the bitter taste...
Yes, It's not just a southern thing. My dad's northern Illinois farm family did it, and they do it in the military in many cases. That comes from using the cheap Robusto beans... and yes, it does work... sort of... but it doesn't take much. Just a pinch (half the volumn of a pea) sprinkled on top of the grounds of a normal 8 cup percolator (another ancient kitchen toy - ).

Egg shells are another "bitter tasting" remedy.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
Flour Child

Thank you. Good to know. I'd try it right now if I hadn't just had 3 cups of coffee (i never have that much....what was i thinking???...no wonder i'm jouncing one knee up and down...i never do that either )

Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Thank you. Good to know. I'd try it right now if I hadn't just had 3 cups of coffee (i never have that much....what was i thinking???...no wonder i'm jouncing one knee up and down...i never do that either )
You were thinking you'd have the answer to your question way before coffee time... Ahhh those late sleepers...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
of a normal 8 cup percolator (another ancient kitchen toy - ).
There is nothing quite perc'd coffee made with spring water from a well. We used to have the every weekend in the summers up at the lake.. back when I was young. Ah... memories....
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
There is nothing quite perc'd coffee made with spring water from a well. We used to have the every weekend in the summers up at the lake.. back when I was young. Ah... memories....

Scientific studies have shown that people who drink perked coffee made with spring water from a well are 73.7% more likely to leave words out of posts on the Discuss Cooking website.

PS: I'll bet it was delicious. The quality of the water definitely makes a difference.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Scientific studies have shown that people who drink perked coffee made with spring water from a well are 73.7% more likely to leave words out of posts on the Discuss Cooking website.

PS: I'll bet it was delicious. The quality of the water definitely makes a difference.