"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We have a couple of roasters here and they make excellent coffee. I get it locally and grind it in-store. I can't seem to get the right grind when I do it at home, so I turned my coffee grinder into a spice grinder.
If you get a burr grinder, I think you will have better luck. I use Cuisinart. They can often be found on sale for around $30. One button operation.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
If you get a burr grinder, I think you will have better luck. I use Cuisinart. They can often be found on sale for around $30. One button operation.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I do love fresh ground, consequently I don't get any but every two weeks, as I only get enough to last one day.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #53
Flour Child

I'm becoming a believer now in buying the beans and grinding fresh so I'm going to check out this Cuisinart too. It smells so amazing in the store when you smell coffee beans being ground...i can only imagine the ecstasy of the aroma at home...talk about aromatherapy

Which reminds me...you know you can put coffee in chocolate and it enhances the flavor of the chocolate tremedously...just thought I'd mention that...

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #54
Master Chef

I prefer Cuban or Brazilian coffee.

But then if you spend say half a year somewhere in Italy and do what Romans do, that is start morning with a tiny-tiny cup of black coffee, I suppose it is called expresso, when you come back home, I pretty much gurantee you are not going to go to Starbucks ot Duns Brothers for that matter. What most Americans drink is just a brown water and not really a coffee.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
Head Chef

My daughter spent the winter working at a coffee farm in Hawaii... mmmmmmm....kona..... french press....

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I'm becoming a believer now in buying the beans and grinding fresh so I'm going to check out this Cuisinart too. It smells so amazing in the store when you smell coffee beans being ground...i can only imagine the ecstasy of the aroma at home...talk about aromatherapy

Which reminds me...you know you can put coffee in chocolate and it enhances the flavor of the chocolate tremedously...just thought I'd mention that...

The last Cuisinart I bought was at Costco. $30. It replaced another Costco that had been used daily for several years. BB&B, Target, etc, have them, and I always have a 20% off coupon, I think the typical price is around $50. Only complaint I have heard is they
are noisy. For a number of reasons, I prefer a burr grinder for a variety or reasons. Ease of operation, eveness of grind, does not heat up beans when grinding.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #57
Master Chef

As far as coffee, I'm easy to please. I'm fine with instant. Black.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
As Scooby-doo would say, "Ruh-Ro".
I messed up. I acted like The Grand Poo-bah of Coffee here and posted that the best coffee is ground Hawaiian Kona purchased at TJ Maxx and that they also had ground Blue Mountain Jamaican. Well, the other day I was in TJMaxx and purchased the ground Blue Mt Jamaican, brought it home, opened it, noticed my daughter's bag of Whole Food's 365 on the counter that she ground herself, opened her's to compare aroma, and Holy Coffeebeans, Batman!...365 won hands down! My daughter says it's because she grinds it herself on the spot in the store but, but, but,...i wanted to argue with her and say that the expiration date is good for a year on the one I got at TJMaxx...but the difference was just wayyy too huge to even bother to argue!

So now I'm backpeddling here and saying that "Whole Food's 365" brand that you grind yourself is the best coffee....and it's organic.

But I humbly admit, I'm still not The Grand Poo-bah of Coffee

I don't like coffee yet (I am trying to like it) but I know a lot about it since my brother-in-law has done tons of experiments with coffee and buys whole coffee beans on-line so they will be fresh. He said that the Kona coffee is some of the best but the reason the other coffee was much better was because it was freshly ground. If you want the Kona to be as good as it could be you would buy green beans (that means it is not roasted) and then you would roast them right before you used them then you would grind them. But if you can't get a roaster for them you would still want to grind them yourself. You can get a coffee grinder at Wal-Mart for $15.

Oh and let me know if anybody would like to know how my sister and
brother-in-law makes his coffee, he has got it down to a science since he is an engineer. He really dose know a lot about it, he knows the perfect temperature to boil to water to, what temperature to drink to coffee at so it won't be bitter, what coffee to use, and all about it!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #59
Chief Eating Officer

As far as roasting you own, I have heard (but have no first had experience) that you get you best results if you let the roasted beans sit for a day before using them. I believe it has something to do with letting some gasses out after the roasting process. I would be curious for someone who roasts their own to do a test and see if the wait makes a difference.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
As far as roasting you own, I have heard (but have no first had experience) that you get you best results if you let the roasted beans sit for a day before using them. I believe it has something to do with letting some gasses out after the roasting process. I would be curious for someone who roasts their own to do a test and see if the wait makes a difference.
My brother-in-law (Ryan) might of already, I will ask my sister and let you know.