"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #41
Sous Chef

I make a pot in the morning, an old Revere Drip-O-Lator. Makes 8, 5-1/2 oz. cups. Little less than a quart and a half. I also have an airpot, all stainless Zojirushi pump job. Indestructible. But what I usually use is a Silex glass candle warmer. Takes a tea light and keeps my coffee just right most of the day.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #42
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Pwrsonally, I think it has a lot to do with how it is brewed and maintained.
If your coffee maker has a warmer and you do not take the grounds out, as water evaporates from the coffee it rises into the grounds and keeps on rebrewing, stronger and uglier.
If you have a thermal caraffe and do not have a warmer, keep the caraffe pretty clean and you aren't too bad. My caraffe is stainless and every so often, I bleach it to get the stuff out of the inside.
AC

Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Thumbs down Blecchh

I don't think I could stomach leftover coffee. Especially after an hour or more. It's kind of like 2 or 3 day old iced tea, just gets skanky after a while.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
Head Chef

My machine (Cuisinart) has both a timer and a warmer-timer... I always set the timer, but on the weekend I may or may not sleep longer than expected. I don't want my coffee sitting on a hotplate longer than about 5-10 minutes. In the summertime, I usually make iced coffee anyway, so there's no need to reheat.

I only make enough for one morning's worth... anything that IS 'left over' would only be the 'silt' at the bottom of the carafe... and sometimes, when I really need a bit of a jolt, yeah, I'll drink that stuff, too.