Does coffee go bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if this belongs here or kitchen safety, but does coffee go bad?

I only drink coffee in the morning. I usually drink all that I make, but at those times I don't and the coffee has been sitting in the pot all day and into the next morning..... I'm wondering if it is still OK to heat up and drink
4.gif

:)

I can't say if it 'goes bad' but it will taste awful. The oils from the coffee can go rancid or begin to, making the coffee taste bad. Make fresh coffee.

Don't know the answer to your question, pacanis. Whenever Buck and I have coffee - on Sunday - we put whatever is left in a container in the refrigerator and heat it up another day. Or if we don't reheat it to drink, I use it as an ingredient in a favorite black devil's food cake.

Thanks. Rancid, bad, both sound "not good". I should really remember to stick it in the fridge if I forget about it, but that's obviously the problem to begin with, I forget about it. :wacko:
At least I buy the cheap stuff.
That's gotta be my favorite part in Pulp Fiction.... where thay are all commenting on Quentin's "serious fine gourmet ####" :LOL:

I have no problem nuking yesterdays coffee that has been sitting in the carafe if I forget to set the programmer.... sorry i know its gross but I need my fix.... it dosent taste that bad:dry:

what is "leftover coffee?"
never seen such a critter here....

I have also been known to nuke what was in the pot from the previous morning :blush: - when you need it you just need it :chef:

Actually had to give up coffee (caffeine) about ten years ago. But yeah, can vouch for the fact that it seems to be OK.

Up half the night and had to go to work and there was no time to make any more and so I drank it - but really it was awful

Agree with Andy, make a new batch.

Pacanis this reminded me of an old man in South Louisiana, my brother's FIL.
He made coffee before dawn every morning in an old stove top percolator. He filled it with water and threw in a couple hands full of coffee and boiled it. After he had his morning coffee he rode to the pasture to check on his cows. Back home he fired up the pot again. Mid-morning, after lunch, mid afternoon, and after supper..each time boiling the coffee again. During one hunting or fishing trip, and after supper one night, he fired up the coffee one more time...Then it hit me!!! I finally figured out what Demitasse coffee cups were made for.:ROFLMAO: It was one powerful brew. He lived well into his 90's.

Enjoy!

We usually just make enough for the two of us at one time. If there's any leftover I'll, maybe, have an iced coffee - but has to be before noon or I won't sleep. If there's any leftover and I'm making gravy or cooking a beef braise I'll dump it in.

We're so fussy about our coffee that DH dumps whatever is left in the carafe in the morning. We roast our own beans, grind them in a burr grinder, and make our coffee with water that's the proper temperature. We sure aren't going to drink coffee left over overnight!:mellow:

I will re-heat it and drink it during the same day it was made, but not the next day. DW will only drink it the first time it is brewed, if it gets more than a few hours old she wont touch it and I am left drinking it by myself for the rest of the day.
She is very picky with her coffee...

I finally figured out what Demitasse coffee cups were made for.:ROFLMAO: It was one powerful brew.

You could have just said those little coffee cups you see them using in foreign movies.
:LOL: Make me use Google just to see what you're talking about.... I tell ya ;)

Back
Top Bottom