Does tea go stale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Just curious - MIL drinks decaf tea, and I have some leftover from last CHristmas - do I need to restock for their visit this Thanksgiving? Regular tea never lasts long enough in our house for me to know the answer to this, lol!

I think it does go stale, Marmalady.. or at least the leaves lose flavour. I've never drunk any of the decaff stuff though :)

I'd say if it's just plain tea (like Lipton's or generic) and not flavored or high-end you could probably get away with using it, especially if your MIL doesn't drink it plain.

Yes it does go stale, but like PAB mentioned, if it is the store bought tea bags like Lipton then the quality is so low already (not to say it is bad stuff, but just compared to high quality tea) that chances are no one will notice a difference.

Naw, Marm - if it's just the the MIL and she is drinking decaf - use the old stuff and just let her think you don't know how to brew a good cup of tea! What's she going to do - drag her baby boy out the door with her when she leaves? :LOL:

Tea will stay "decent" for a year, or more, in an airtight cannister. I didn't say "pristine" tasting - just "drinkable" without significant oxidation "off flavors". Actually - I've had some that was 2-3 years old (stored in an airtight cannister) that tasted fine. I've had some that was stored in the original cardboard box on the shelf for 3-4 months that was useless.

marmalady said:
Just curious - MIL drinks decaf tea, and I have some leftover from last CHristmas - do I need to restock for their visit this Thanksgiving? Regular tea never lasts long enough in our house for me to know the answer to this, lol!

Replace it, it's MIL time..best to have fresh tea:mrgreen: She will notice:LOL:

I bought some decaf tea a number of years ago, and it tasted so -- well, un-tea-like and had a strange feel on the tongue. I've never bought it again. As far as I'm concerned, unless they've improved the stuff (I haven't bought any since) you can only improve it by aging it! LOL.

maybe you can introduce them to a nice quality herb tea, which is not really a traditional tea but mainly made with hibiscus, pieces of dried fruit, rose hip etc. They come in many different flavours, naturally caffine free and much more pleasant to drink than "dicaffinated" tea.

Lol at all the answers, folks!

I think what I have decaf is Lipton or Bigelow - I haven't even checked yet. I do put all my teas in tins, tho.

Dear MIL (and she is a sweetheart!), has Parkinson's and early Alzheimer's, so I don't think I'll try something new on her. It's best for her to have things 'status quo'.

I know all you tea afficionados will :sick: at this, but for years, she makes her tea by dipping the bag in the hot water - oh, maybe 3-4 times; used to drink it with milk and sugar; first cut out the sugar; then the milk, and she used lemon for a while; now it's just the pale version of hot water - but hey, if she likes it and it makes her happy ---!

I drink de-caf all the time (Lipton's or Louisianne), but I spice it up a little by using one individual bag of Constant Comment with one family sized bag of de-caf. It's delicious with just a squeeze of lemon.
I'm talking iced tea here, but sometimes I pour a mug full and heat it in the microwave with a spoonful of honey for a toddy. Hint...add rum or whisky after it's heated...great for a cold or the flu. The lemon juice cuts the phlegm, the honey coats the throat, and the whisky makes you sweat out the fever and calms the cough.

Last edited:
Tea not only goes stale but it expires and can make you sick. From being picked/processed its usally two years max for consumability if stored well. If its powder tea its usally one year since being ground. If you go beyond that not only will your tea be flavorless and have no nutritional value but you risk it haveing a wide range of molds and bacterias.

At under $5.00 or so a package for even the better Decaf Teas out there why worry, just pick up a fresh package for her.

Teanobi is right to an extent, teas coffees and herbs will collect spores and if the humidity is high enough it can produce molds and fungi and it can make sensitive people very ill. I go through and toss all my ground herbs, spices, teas and coffees every 6 months and replace them.

Back
Top Bottom