"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Dunkin Donuts started in Massachusetts. They started in Randolph and now are headquartered in Canton. When they started selling franchises, one of the first was here in Eastie. There were several individual coffee shops here and slowly DD drove them out of business. Other than McDonald's and BK, they are the only coffee shops in town. The one down in Central Square is in trouble. Every morning the police go in and clear the place out of the homeless, druggies and other undesirables. Slowly they are getting the message. The one up in the Heights area has the coffee brigade. All the old folks go there and sit discussing what is wrong wih the world. They do a brisk businiess as it is just a few feet from the beach. In the summer they sell a lot of ice drinks. Neither one has a drive through wiindow.

All my kids know, "Don't come to see me unless you have a large DD in your hands." It is my life's blood.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

DD and other brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

I've also drank DD coffee at their stores and again, taste no difference between that and the Maxwell House at home after brewing.

If you were given a blind taste test, do you think you would be able to pick out DD's coffee from others?
I can certainly taste the differences in coffee. I've been drinking different brands long enough to without question, tell a difference.

DD has a unique flavor that I like and find consistent in taste even as the coffee begins to cool. What I don't understand is... I can buy the whole bean coffee from the store, bring it home, grind it and make coffee but that unique flavor I cannot duplicate at home. I have only bought one (1) pound of coffee from DD so I was thinking the bag was old. I did buy it from a discounted basket at the DD store. It was like $1 off a normal bag. I looked at the date and it said "best if used by 10/7/12" and I bought it in July at the store. The coffee wasn't bad, it just didn't have that DD signature flavor that I have grown to love when buying cups of coffee at the stores.

Do you think it was the close "use by" date? I mean, they had them in the discount basket for a reason I would think.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

If you visit the DD website, the FAQ section describes why your home brewed coffee won't taste the same.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Ahhh... yet another disclaimer. That defeats the purpose for buying their coffee for home brewing. I will just continue to buy cups in the store. I did call Dunkin' about the taste issue and they never told me the coffee wouldn't taste the same at home but they were apologetic and sent me a gift card in the mail.

Tags
coffee