Egg Cream... Mississippi Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
5 oz. whole milk...
3 oz. Soda water
3 T Chocolate Syrup

Mix syrup with milk. Add soda water. Give it a few stirs and enjoy!

I didn't have U-Bet Chocloate Syrup...Had to use Hershey's.

I tried it first with Sto-bought Chocolate milk...Just fair. I guess it depends on the quality of milk you can buy.

A Selttzer bottle might be handy!

This stuff is good!!!

I Wonder if it would sell in New York???? :ermm:

Yeah I thought the commercial choc milk wasn't satisfactory. I'm going to try it with syrup next. Just not sure if my Cottee's Diet sauce is going to be good enough!

5 oz. whole milk...
3 oz. Soda water
3 T Chocolate Syrup

Mix syrup with milk. Add soda water. Give it a few stirs and enjoy!

I didn't have U-Bet Chocloate Syrup...Had to use Hershey's.

I tried it first with Sto-bought Chocolate milk...Just fair. I guess it depends on the quality of milk you can buy.

A Selttzer bottle might be handy!

This stuff is good!!!

I Wonder if it would sell in New York???? :ermm:
I get egg creams all the time in NY. They're very popular. What makes this "Mississippi" style? It's absolutely the same recipe. I was expecting you to have some crazy ingredient in there to spice it up or something. :)

Uncle Bob was just putting up the recipe for the Egg Cream that was discussed in that thread. He used a different syrup than was initially mentioned and so he just posted how he did it with the ratios he used. That's all.

Uncle Bob was just putting up the recipe for the Egg Cream that was discussed in that thread. He used a different syrup than was initially mentioned and so he just posted how he did it with the ratios he used. That's all.
Ah, gotcha. Didn't get the Mississippi reference. :-p

Rock, do you make it at home as well? I am trying the different ratios as well - it isn't something we have here. So do you make it with the same levels as Uncle Bob? GB uses a 50/50 or 40/60 ratio.

Rock, do you make it at home as well? I am trying the different ratios as well - it isn't something we have here. So do you make it with the same levels as Uncle Bob? GB uses a 50/50 or 40/60 ratio.
You know, I've made them for so long I really don't pay attention. It's not really exact science. I pour in about as much milk as I feel like drinking at the moment, top off the glass with soda water, and then stir in chocolate syrup until it's as dark as I want it to be. I give it about as much thought as making regular chocolate milk or a root beer float. There's really not that much measuring, it's just about what you feel like tasting that time. (Does that make sense?) Obviously you want to use more milk than soda water though.

I just wanted to try this "stuff"...I got the idea from GB in the "Mock Cocktail" thread, and felt it appropriate to start another thread with my experiences at making it rather than High-Jack that thread!

The "Mississippi Connection" is..... It would make an excellent chaser for Moonshine!:LOL:

Truthfully, it was very good. I'm sure not up to New York standards, but hey!

(I) Have Fun & Enjoy!

To make it a true NY egg cream there is actually a little more to it. You do not actually mix it completely. The foam on the top ends up being milk foam, not chocolaty. I do not like just plain milk though so I do not make it the "real" way.

Hey someone will no doubt put in a drink soon with alcohol in it too!! Then you'll just have to start all over again!

I think i sabotaged my own thread when i mentioned Stones Ginger Wine LOLLL

I've decided to try this Egg Cream thing....i just need the syrup lol, only thing i have in the form of liquid chocolate is Chocolate MAgic and that only goes Rock hard LOL

Back
Top Bottom