Eggnog, Canadian Style :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this is My Eggnog...been making it many of years, now my kids have found said recipe and well I think its gonna cost me a fortune, they go through about 8 cups a day if I let em, but you know, I KNOW whats in it and its pretty healthy. Can always cut back sugar as well.....so here is My Eggnog.....

For 1 serving;

1 egg beaten
1 TBSP wht sugar
dash o salt
3/4 cup milk (cold) of course :)
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash o nutmeg

Mix with blender and enjoy! mmmmmm mmmmmm good :)
I usually round the milk up to a cup. Easier explaining it to the kids when they use my big measuring cup to make it :)

If you like it thick, use just the egg yolk and make enough for two cups milk. Bring the milk and other ingredients to about 170'F. Beat the egg yolk in a separate bowl. Pour a little of the hot milk into the beaten egg yolk to temper it. Whisk it into the hot milk and stir over medium heat. Don't let it quite come to a boil. It will thicken creamy smooth and thick, without any thickeners except the egg yolk. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you like it thick, use just the egg yolk and make enough for two cups milk. Bring the milk and other ingredients to about 170'F. Beat the egg yolk in a separate bowl. Pour a little of the hot milk into the beaten egg yolk to temper it. Whisk it into the hot milk and stir over medium heat. Don't let it quite come to a boil. It will thicken creamy smooth and thick, without any thickeners except the egg yolk. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Great idea. Two birds with one stone: thick without a whack load of extra fat and kill any nasty micro-organisms in the eggs.

A friend of mine makes eggnog using the raw eggs. She washes the eggs well before cracking them open. She figures the rum will kill most or all of the salmonella.

My husband uses egg beaters or some such rather than whole eggs, and it is always a hit (of course, copious amounts of dark rum are involved). The recipe sounds similar.

Eggnog humor story? One year, when hubby was just starting to make eggnog, he used whole eggs, and had the mixture all made. He'd decided if regular rum was good, then Barcadi 151 would be better. He poured in the rum then yelled at me. I ran to the kitchen. I just started laughing. He kept saying the half-and-half must not have been fresh and was curdling. I laughed harder. When I caught my breath I told him ... the rum had literally cooked the eggs. Look, Hun, you can actually see yolks and whites in there (picture egg drop soup). He was in a panic, but I'm my mother's daughter, pulled out a sieve, and great fun was had by all with no one the wiser except a select few guests who we have regaled with the story for decades!

I also use raw eggs to make eggnog although generally without the rum. I have never had any problem with it. I didn't even know that anyone used anything but raw eggs when making it at home.

Back
Top Bottom