Eggnog, Canadian Style :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
Well this is My Eggnog...been making it many of years, now my kids have found said recipe and well I think its gonna cost me a fortune, they go through about 8 cups a day if I let em, but you know, I KNOW whats in it and its pretty healthy. Can always cut back sugar as well.....so here is My Eggnog.....

For 1 serving;

1 egg beaten
1 TBSP wht sugar
dash o salt
3/4 cup milk (cold) of course :)
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash o nutmeg

Mix with blender and enjoy! mmmmmm mmmmmm good :)
I usually round the milk up to a cup. Easier explaining it to the kids when they use my big measuring cup to make it :)

Reactions: MJ
Mom and us siblings are Canadian (dad is not) --so can I add my experience? Eh?

After blending it, add a couple ice cubes and blend it, and it is more slushy. We liked the texture, coolness, smoothness.

My family has made it this way for 50 years at least. It is yummy. Not thick like the kind you get in the store.

My family has made it this way for 50 years at least. It is yummy. Not thick like the kind you get in the store.

I like thick eggnog, when it's thick with whipped cream and other good stuff; not when it's thick with carrageen, guar gum, micro crystalline cellulose, and polysorbate 80.

I like the thick kind too but so many extra calories. At least when I make it at home from milk and eggs and sugar substitute, as I have made it for the last few years I feel like I am indulging wisely.

I got to doing stuff and haven't tried it yet! I'm going to go make some right now. I'm watching "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," and it will go perfectly with that!

:)Barbara

This sounds easy to make. How well does it keep in the frige? If I wanted to make enough for a party or family gathering how far ahead can it be made?

I love that homemade eggnog. It's just how my mom made it, and it's also really good hot with fresh grated nutmeg on top. A splash of rum sends it right over the top. Yummm!! Sadly I'm spooked by the raw egg these days.

I love that homemade eggnog. It's just how my mom made it, and it's also really good hot with fresh grated nutmeg on top. A splash of rum sends it right over the top. Yummm!! Sadly I'm spooked by the raw egg these days.

The raw egg spooks me too.

I seem to remember reading that you can beat the egg; heat the milk; temper the egg; whisk it into the hot milk and make sure it reaches pasteurization temperature (161 F) for 10-15 seconds.

Good idea TL. It would be worth it to me to buy some higher cost pasteurized eggs for just this purpose. Now I'm really wanting some of that nog!! I don't like that thick nasty stuff they sell in the stores.

My kids have been making it in the morning, they make about litre at a time and put it in the fridge. Not sure how long it would keep though. I wouldnt go longer than a day though. As for gatherings, make it a couple hours before, chill then reblend before you serve.

Back
Top Bottom