Eggnog Season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe?

I love eggnog but, like one other poster, can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. Anyone know of a homemade eggnog recipe that could be made with lower (not zero) fat, and somewhat less sugar, and still be delicious?

Last edited:
Girl49 said:
I love eggnog but, like one other poster, can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. Anyone know of a homemade eggnog recipe that could be made with lower (not zero) fat, and somewhat less sugar, and still be delicious?

Check out Chief Longwind's post on this same thread. Scroll up. I am so gonna make it!

Thank for posting this fabulous-sounding recipe. Can't wait to try it. To cut calories and sugar, I sometimes use ZSweet (erythritol) instead of sugar, and it sounds like this would work great here. This will need no rum!

I also splurge each year and buy several cartons of Whole eggnog. Mostly, I drink the Soy Nog, but the Whole Milk Nog is awesome to me!

I've never seen anyone drink it with a shot chaser. That's interesting Babe. What type of booze do you chase it with?:huh:

lol, tim, i mean a shot of insulin. my statement wasn't clear. although that might be interesting. :chef:

lol, tim, i mean a shot of insulin. my statement wasn't clear. although that might be interesting. :chef:
Ha! Now I can see how you meant it, but I really did think you meant a shot of liquor. I know a lot of people like to put liquor in thier eggnog, but I could never stand the taste. I thought maybe you found a way to do both without mixing them.

Thank for posting this fabulous-sounding recipe. Can't wait to try it. To cut calories and sugar, I sometimes use ZSweet (erythritol) instead of sugar, and it sounds like this would work great here. This will need no rum!

another, even lower cholesterol egg nog substitute: Plain soy milk has a certain amount of viscosity in it that makes it "creamy". I've found that a cup of soy milk, combined with 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg, plus 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, plus sweetener of choice makes a beverage that tastes suprisingly like eggnog. It's not quite as thick, but sure tastes great. It could be made thicker by heating and adding just a little corn starch. But be careful with how much corn starch you use as I don't think egg nog flavored gravy would be all that appetizing.:ROFLMAO: Oh, but wait, make it thick and you could call it egg nog pudding.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

another, even lower cholesterol egg nog substitute: Plain soy milk has a certain amount of viscosity in it that makes it "creamy". I've found that a cup of soy milk, combined with 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg, plus 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, plus sweetener of choice makes a beverage that tastes suprisingly like eggnog. It's not quite as thick, but sure tastes great. It could be made thicker by heating and adding just a little corn starch. But be careful with how much corn starch you use as I don't think egg nog flavored gravy would be all that appetizing.:ROFLMAO: Oh, but wait, make it thick and you could call it egg nog pudding.;)

"Silk", the makers of one Soy Brand, already beat you to that one. They've put out a really good "Egg Nog" for many years. It's just not as thick.

Ha! Now I can see how you meant it, but I really did think you meant a shot of liquor. I know a lot of people like to put liquor in thier eggnog, but I could never stand the taste. I thought maybe you found a way to do both without mixing them.

i do like liquor in mine. plus i love it plain. wish i had some right now. :LOL:

"Silk", the makers of one Soy Brand, already beat you to that one. They've put out a really good "Egg Nog" for many years. It's just not as thick.

Yeh, but I make mine with unsweetened Silk soy milk, and use sucralose sweetener, so that it's really low carb.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• SmartCat.jpg
    SmartCat.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Yummy Egnnog

Today used The Joy of Cooking recipe for Cooked Eggnog. Yum. It's in the home stretch of chilling now so my husband I can sip (or gulp) it while tree decorating later.

A couple of days ago tried Food Network's recipe for Lowfat Eggnog; it called for skim milk (I used 1 percent) and 1/3 cup of sugar (I used ZSweet/erythritol). I sooo wanted to like it, but didn't; the cornstarch called for made it way too thick. Maybe next time I'll use the Joy recipe with the ZSweet as a compromise. Or I'll just use Chief Longwind's version!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom