Eggnog Season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
Got my first quart of eggnog today. I picked up the Southern Comfort traditional eggnog, and it's really, really good. :D

MMM. I'm definitely looking for it my next trip to the store. I have never had the SoCo brand.

danbuter said:
Got my first quart of eggnog today. I picked up the Southern Comfort traditional eggnog, and it's really, really good. :D

Que? Sounds really good. They sell it with actual SC in it?

Oh my, Chopper, them's some good french toast!

Alas, being diabetic, I have to make my own. Pre-made egg nog from teh store has sooooo much sugar in it. Fortunately, it's easy to make.

Heat 1 quart of milk on the stove until it's almost boiling. Add sweetener, 1 tbs. vanilla extract, or 2 vanilla beans that have been split and scraped, with the scrapings, to the milk, and 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg. Let steep in the hot milk for five to ten minutes.

Beat two egg yolks until creamy smooth. Strain milk into a bowl, then put back into the pan. Again heat until it's almost boiling. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the beaten egg yolk. Pour the egg yolk/milk mixture into the pan. Bring to a slow boil while continuously stirring. Cook until it begins to thicken and strain into a container to be put into the fridge. Enjoy cold or hot.

You can add other flavors to your egg nog, such as allspice, cloves, a touch of ginger, etc. You can make it richer by adding more egg yolk to the recipe, or using half-n-half, or by adding cream to the milk. I've even been known to add a bit of malt powder to the egg nog as it's cooking. It then tastes like a very rich french-vanilla malt. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Eggnog makes a nice pie using instant vanilla pudding and a graham cracker crust.

Fast and easy during the busy holiday season

Is that a british saying? I'm not really sure what you mean.

Noggin the Nog is a popular British children's character appearing in his own TV series (of the same name) and series of illustrated books, the brainchild of Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin. The TV series is considered a 'cult classic' from the golden age of British children's television. Noggin himself is a simple, kind and unassuming King of the Northmen in a roughly Viking-age setting, with various fantastic elements such as dragons, flying machines and talking birds.

I also don't mix alcohol with egg nog. I've tried it and never liked it. This brand just happens to be made by the SoCo people.

Alas, being diabetic, I have to make my own. Pre-made egg nog from teh store has sooooo much sugar in it. Fortunately, it's easy to make.

Heat 1 quart of milk on the stove until it's almost boiling. Add sweetener, 1 tbs. vanilla extract, or 2 vanilla beans that have been split and scraped, with the scrapings, to the milk, and 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg. Let steep in the hot milk for five to ten minutes.

Beat two egg yolks until creamy smooth. Strain milk into a bowl, then put back into the pan. Again heat until it's almost boiling. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the beaten egg yolk. Pour the egg yolk/milk mixture into the pan. Bring to a slow boil while continuously stirring. Cook until it begins to thicken and strain into a container to be put into the fridge. Enjoy cold or hot.

You can add other flavors to your egg nog, such as allspice, cloves, a touch of ginger, etc. You can make it richer by adding more egg yolk to the recipe, or using half-n-half, or by adding cream to the milk. I've even been known to add a bit of malt powder to the egg nog as it's cooking. It then tastes like a very rich french-vanilla malt. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh my, Chief! I am SO going to make this! Just got some lovely vanilla beans, and will sweeten with Truvia. Thanks!

I checked, our local stores don't have SoCo.

Last edited:
I only drink a very small glass with nutmeg once during the season. I find it to thick and sweet and it has a strange after taste for some reason. When I was 20 something we made homemade eggnog with 151 rum. Man the black bat curddled it or something. LOL It just didn't look right - like curds and whey. :LOL:

i love eggnog. this diabetic drinks it full flavor. then take a shot, well worth it.

I also splurge each year and buy several cartons of Whole eggnog. Mostly, I drink the Soy Nog, but the Whole Milk Nog is awesome to me!

I've never seen anyone drink it with a shot chaser. That's interesting Babe. What type of booze do you chase it with?:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom