"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Feedback on San Fransisco Bay coffee k-cups, cheap!!

this san fran bay coffee is one i haven't yet tried, but it is getting a lot of favorable press from customer reviews. and that is encouraging! the cost of coffee k-cups has been my Only bone of contention with the keurig way of brewing coffee. i'm a keurig true believer, but i've always been on the lookout for better k-cup prices. i tried the grove square coffee k-cups one time, but they turned out to be made from instant coffee. i didn't buy a keurig coffee machine in order to heat up instant coffee in a new and more expensive way!

howsomever, in describing this coffee, i learned that these sfb k cups are something other than true k cups, but that they work perfectly fine in the keurig machines. i don't get exactly what they look like or how they work differently, but they are apparently more environmentally friendly, but not completely sealed, as are the regular k cups.

i know it's just a matter of time before i give in to the temptation to check out this sfb organic coffee, but i would like to hear from anyone of you who have had this coffee or know something about it. thanks....

oops, almost forgot to mention the most important matter of the price! i see that amazon is selling sfb k cups for just under .40c each with their subscribe and save plan. good, huh?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

i'm giving this thread a bump one more time with the hope of some response. has no one bought or tried these sfb k cups yet? i'm interested to know how these oddly shaped k cups work in a keurig machine. also, opinions about the quality of this arabica coffee would be most welcome. anyone?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry, Vit! not only not tried, but haven't seen around here.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

guess i'll just have to be my own taster/tester for the san francisco bay organic k cups. it turns out that this brand of coffee has been around for many years, just not previously in k cup form. sfb 'fog chaser' is the flavor i am ordering today from amazon--36 units for $16.62. that is about 2/3 of the cost for the regular keurig ones, and larger quantities sell for even less.

i like a bold coffee brew (no latte girl here):) fog chaser is described as being full-bodied with a smooth finish, compared favorably to kona blend and rainforest espresso--nice. i will report back with my findings and impressions of this coffee.

ever since keurig, i have been more inclined to sample different coffee blends, whereas previously i stuck with one favorite brand from which i never deviated. these days, i like to match my coffee flavor to my mood of the moment--such fun! and coffee drinking is so much more satisfying this way....:)
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I pick a breakfast blend in the morning, more caffiene. I save the dark roasts for the afternoon, that lovely flavor without the caffiene charge.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

I've considered getting a Keurig but haven't because of the cost of the cups. I recently saw an ad for reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee. That seemed like a good idea. Not sure how they compare to the pre-packaged ones though.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They work fine. 2 Tablespoons coffee for 10 ounce cup and under. 3 Tablespoons for above 10 ounces.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

Never heard of it either, sorry!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I've considered getting a Keurig but haven't because of the cost of the cups. I recently saw an ad for reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee. That seemed like a good idea. Not sure how they compare to the pre-packaged ones though.
The reusable cup thingy was the reason I bought Keurig instead of Tassimo. I love the machine. And I have to say Keurig's customer service is pretty good too.

vituata, I was looking at those cup thingys, they look interesting. I'm guessing they are just cloth or meshy stuff on the bottom and the top is like a k cup? Tell me how they are. There are some other ones called kienna cups that look like they might be good too.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The reusable cup thingy was the reason I bought Keurig instead of Tassimo. I love the machine. And I have to say Keurig's customer service is pretty good too.

vituata, I was looking at those cup thingys, they look interesting. I'm guessing they are just cloth or meshy stuff on the bottom and the top is like a k cup? Tell me how they are. There are some other ones called kienna cups that look like they might be good too.

those 'cup thingys', if you can rely on customer reports, are made from a special paper product, and therefore are biodegradable. from what i can tell, the tops of the k cups are not sealed as are the keurig cups, and need to be secured to prevent coffee grounds from escaping into the coffee.--a paper clip was mentioned...what?? but overwhelmingly glowing reports on the great taste of the coffee, and, uh, i'll be back when i know what i'm talking about......:)

Tags
cheap, coffee