Folger's Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I just tried some Folger's Coffee that stated was 'easy' on the stomach. Do you know it is? I do notice difference since I have had two cups already this morning. I surely will get it again. I am going to try to find out why the difference? Wonder why they never did this before. Well, anyway maybe some of you have tried it. I just noticed it yesterday due to fact I had some time. Otherwise, I shop for what I want not browse the aisles. Glad i did find it.

Decaf?

They do have decaffeinated coffee too but I took the regular. I just am grateful that I do like it! Many times I have been disappointed. I just tried the smaller size. Next time i won't be hesitant about getting large one.

It may be a low acid coffee. Kava sold that many years ago but it seems to have dropped offf the map.

It is the acid. If you are sensitive to coffee's acidic qualities, I suggest investigating making coffee by the toddy method. You put ground coffee in cold water and let it sit overnight. Then filter off the grounds and keep the concentrate in the fridge, using it like "instant coffee". It truly makes a wonderful cup of coffee that you can control the strength. And you can immediately notice the "smoothness" of it--quite remarkable.
A brand of coffee that is also very smooth, and therefore I assume less acid is Cafe Britt. It is a Costa Rican organic coffee that is exceptionally good--great espresso. You can buy it on the net, of course.

Understand?

Candocook said:
It is the acid. If you are sensitive to coffee's acidic qualities, I suggest investigating making coffee by the toddy method. You put ground coffee in cold water and let it sit overnight. Then filter off the grounds and keep the concentrate in the fridge, using it like "instant coffee". It truly makes a wonderful cup of coffee that you can control the strength. And you can immediately notice the "smoothness" of it--quite remarkable.
A brand of coffee that is also very smooth, and therefore I assume less acid is Cafe Britt. It is a Costa Rican organic coffee that is exceptionally good--great espresso. You can buy it on the net, of course.

In other words, you don't use the coffemaker at all? Just pour the grounds in water? I really have never heard of this. Some times I feel like I am living in the woods. I will surely try it with coffee I have on hand.

This Cafe Britt you put that in coffeemaker don't you? I haven't noticed this brand in the store but as you said can get over the net. Thanks you so much. Really a good idea

Cafe Britt is a major plantation in Costa Rica--excellent coffee. You would have to order it.
For toddy coffee, there is an actual "maker" for it, but if you don't mind a bit of mess, it is easy to do yourself.
Put

Let me go find the right measurements and I'll be back and edit this.
This is what a toddy maker looks like
Amazon.com: toddy coffee

to make it without this.
Mix 2C ground coffee with 6C cold water. Put the grounds INTO the water and just push it down gently. DO NOT stir.
Let sit overnight on the counter.
Filter out all the solids. You can use a sieve lined with a coffee filter--or even a paper towel
Put the concentrate in a jar and store in the fridge.
Add the amount of concentrate to a cup of hot water to make the coffee the way you like it.
The directions say to use coarse ground coffee. Last time I used my fine grind that I always use. It was fine.
This makes a cup of coffee you would swear was brewed. It is a great tool to use when having a group over that you are not sure are going to drink much coffee.

Last edited:
Candocook

Just like you drew me a picture. (what they say around here when I can't figure something out) Well, anyway I know just how to do it but as you said it does take time and I want to know how it is and will surely let you know when I do.

I am so thankful I mentioned this about Folger's Smooth Coffee. As I said, like I am living in the woods!

As for Folger's, it has been decades since I tasted it, but it was never my fave. Too weak. You will enjoy the toddy coffee--and truly notice the difference immediately in your taste/mouth. It is quite remarkable.

Which One?

Candocook said:
Cafe Britt is a major plantation in Costa Rica--excellent coffee. You would have to order it.
For toddy coffee, there is an actual "maker" for it, but if you don't mind a bit of mess, it is easy to do yourself.
Put

to make it without this.
Mix 2C ground coffee with 6C cold water. Put the grounds INTO the water and just push it down gently. DO NOT stir.
Filter out all the solids. You can use a sieve lined with a coffee filter--or even a paper towel
Add the amount of concentrate to a cup of hot water to make the coffee the way you like it.
The directions say to use coarse ground coffee. Last time I used my fine grind that I always use. It was fine.
This makes a cup of coffee you would swear was brewed. It is a great tool to use when having a group over that you are not sure are going to drink much coffee.

I checked the link out that you mentioned and would you mind telling me which one you prefer? I had no idea they had different ones. Thanks

Isn't it funny how some folks are really taken with a coffee brand, while others hate it?

I've never been a big coffee person - in fact, I normally have just one cup in the morning & that's it. So, since my husband doesn't drink coffee at all, he bought me one of those Senseo "pod" coffee machines & I LOVE it, since I can just make my one cup & don't have to toss any out. Plus, I absolutely HATE coffee that's been sitting warm for more than 10 minutes - lol!

Anyway, I've tried several different brands of "pod" coffee, & so far Folger's "Classic" & Folger's "100% Columbian" are the best. Very flavorful without putting hair on your chest.

Where?

BreezyCooking said:
Isn't it funny how some folks are really taken with a coffee brand, while others hate it?

I've never been a big coffee person - in fact, I normally have just one cup in the morning & that's it. So, since my husband doesn't drink coffee at all, he bought me one of those Senseo "pod" coffee machines & I LOVE it, since I can just make my one cup & don't have to toss any out. Plus, I absolutely HATE coffee that's been sitting warm for more than 10 minutes - lol!

Anyway, I've tried several different brands of "pod" coffee, & so far Folger's "Classic" & Folger's "100% Columbian" are the best. Very flavorful without putting hair on your chest.

Now WHERE did he find that? This is all new to me. Was it over $100? Hate to ask price but before I get my hopes up I would like to know. Tossing anything out is a no-no around here. Before it hits the garbage I try to see if I can freeze for another day. Hard to do all the time. Ot herwise I would have to exercise three times day.

In the Kitchen said:
I checked the link out that you mentioned and would you mind telling me which one you prefer? I had no idea they had different ones. Thanks

I don't have one. I just posted it to show what they were. I make mine in a pickle jar and filter it through my coffeemaker filter holder. Cheap.

Regarding the Senseo someone posted about. I have heard the coffee is quite good but I would hate to be tied to having to buy the pods. However, there is a "pod maker" available now so you can make your own from coffee that you decide you like better than what Senseo sells. Just an FYI.

Um - Candocook, you're NOT tied to buying the Senseo coffee pods AT ALL. In fact, I don't particularly like the Senseo coffee. Not only do quite a few coffee companies sell pods (Folgers (which I said in my previous post were my hands-down favorite coffee pods), but also Millstone, Java, & a number of others). Plus, the "pod maker", which I have, also allows you to use whatever coffee you want. I can literally make whatever type of coffee I feel like in the morning - one delicious cup at a time.

The Senseo machine, if I'm not mistaken, was around $60 or so, & I LOVE it. Wouldn't go back to my old coffeemaker for anything. I keep lots of different coffees on hand, & if I so desire, can make just one mug full whenever I feel like it.

Oh, & not that I'd buy them, because tea is so easy to make as it is, but some tea companies are now coming out with "tea pods" for the Senseo that they claim make faster & better tea without having to steep.

Senseo does have a website with lots of info - just do a search on it. Although it's easy to find at any store that sells small appliances. I really do LOVE mine, especially since I'm the only coffee-drinker in the house, & normally a one-cupper at that. We do still keep our old drip coffee-maker for company when we want a full pot of coffee all at one time, but even then we've had folks vote for the Senseo. That should tell you something.

Um - Candocook, you're NOT tied to buying the Senseo coffee pods AT ALL. In fact, I don't particularly like the Senseo coffee. Not only do quite a few coffee companies sell pods (Folgers (which I said in my previous post were my hands-down favorite coffee pods), but also Millstone, Java, & a number of others). Plus, the "pod maker", which I have, also allows you to use whatever coffee you want. I can literally make whatever type of coffee

Umm, with some of the Senseo type coffeemakers (the generic "one cup at a time coffeemakers") you ARE tied to the maker's offerings. The newish one with the little plastic cup comes to mind. Maybe even that will change--who knows.
And my point in mentioning the pod makers was to say that there are pod makers that allow you to do what you are doing, which might make it more attractive to buy it for some people. Plus your point that now coffee companies are also making pods. Good info.

I think I will try this method. Thanks for sharing. :)

quote=Candocook]Cafe Britt is a major plantation in Costa Rica--excellent coffee. You would have to order it.
Put

to make it without this.
This makes a cup of coffee you would swear was brewed. It is a great tool to use when having a group over that you are not sure are going to drink much coffee.[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom