"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I like my milk cold enough to cause brain freeze.

I prefer it in glass bottles. We still have one local dairy chain that uses returnable glass bottles. They also make some fine holiday milk flavors, now it is green mint flavor for St. Patrick's day. I also like milk from those old stainless steel coolers that whip into a froth when they dispense it.

Remember when the milkman brought the milk in the winter and when it froze the top would rise up under a cylinder of frozen cream?

Now I drink skim milk and try to pretend I like it!

My grandmother used to feed it to the pigs!
They quit delivering milk in bottles before I moved to Canada. People tell me that birds would peck through the tops. They also tell me about occasional bottles breaking and leaving a frozen, bottle shaped, lump of milk.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't drink milk. I like mine in the form of cheese...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #33
Executive Chef

unless it's milk soup, my milk has to be ice cold and no more than 1% fat.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
unless it's milk soup, my milk has to be ice cold and no more than 1% fat.
There is not enough fat in whole milk that I am willing to give up taste for an eight ounce glass of milk.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
Executive Chef

for me, a milk lover all my life, the taste of milk is not in the fat. before milk was homogenized, i carefully drank only the milk that had separated from the fat. when they came out with skim and 1% milk, i was one happy milk maiden--except for the color. i agree that blue is not a particularly appetizing color in a glass of milk.... :)
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
Master Chef

I like it freezing cold in summer and piping hot in winter. The only thing I can stomach at room temp is cheese. I know it's a bit nuts but I over heat or over chill everything!

My favourite way to drink milk is well chilled in a glass bottle. I add flavouring of choice. Some vanilla, nesquick (strawberry)or honey etc. Then close and shake like crazy till lots of foam forms on top. Yum!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #37
Master Chef

I like my milk cold and served in a glass (not plastic) glass. Usually the only way I drink milk warm is when I make hot chocolate. I have fond memories of drinking warm milk at my grandparents as a child but that was way different. Grandpa had milk cows and his own pasteurization machine that he ran the milk through before the dairy picked it up in those wonderful stainless steel milk cans. He had a tin cup in the milk house just for me and would give me a cupful right from the pasteurization machine. It was really comforting and oh so good. He raised guernsey cows which produce the highest butterfat milk. You can imagine what their whole milk tasted like! And Grandma's homemade ice cream custard was the best!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #38
Master Chef

I've always wondered why people love the idea of drinking milk from a cow but are terrified by the thought of drinking breastmilk. I've never tasted it but surely it would be better for us and probably taste better too? Who knows? I was never breast fed so I have no clue but it makes sense.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've noticed that most milk here sold in paper cartons and most organics are ultra pasturized where milk sold in plastic jugs isn't. I wonder if the paper cartons are more sterile, and that the plastic can't be sterilized for UP milk?

I only buy milk in paper cartons (we only use about a quart per week) and pretty much never have issues with it going sour even when opened for well over a week.
The main milk company here is Massachusetts is Garelick. The milk, half and half, and all creams sold to restaurants are only pasturized. Not ultra pasturized. The ones that are ultra have been heated twice and sold to the general public. Thus there is a small breakdown in the fat contents. Occassionaly they have an overrun of their restaurant products and sell them to the small Mom and Pop stores or 7-11 stores. And you definitely can taste the difference. It is richer. They do have a shorter shelf life. And it is mostly sold in half gallon containers. I will grab a half and half when it is available and place it in the freezer. Because it is much richer I use less of that product than the one I usually buy.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I've always wondered why people love the idea of drinking milk from a cow but are terrified by the thought of drinking breastmilk. I've never tasted it but surely it would be better for us and probably taste better too? Who knows? I was never breast fed so I have no clue but it makes sense.
Well I will end your wondering. It is hot and very sweet when it is fed to a baby. I breast fed all my babies. When I had my third baby, the two oldest ones want to taste it. So I let them. That was the last time they asked for that.

Tags
milk