"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

For Milk Lovers Only

At what temperature is milk best for you?

I've noticed that whole milk served at restaurants tastes richer than does that from my fridge. The reason is that teh restaurant milk is kept and served at about 43' F., while it's kept at about 32.2'F in my fridge. The higher temperature milk excites the taste buds more than does the near frozen milk. I've found that if I microwave my milk for 20 seconds or so, it gets up into the 50' range and has a richer flavor yet.

So, what's your favorite temp? It can be anything from "if you sip it too fast, it'll scald your tongue" to slush.

Though I like them all, depending on the reason for drinking the milk, I like the flavor of the 50' milk best. When I'm just plain thirsty, I go for the 32.2' stuff. If it's 90'F outside, milk sluch does the trick. On a cold, winter night, sometimes, a mug of hot milk, without any flavorings hits the spot, especially just before going to bed (though if it's hot, usually I'm adding something to it, like chocolate, or buttersctoch, eggs and vanilla, or whatever).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I like my milk ice cold. Restaurant milk and other dairy products are pasturized only once. What you buy in the store is ultra pasturized. Meaning pasturized twice. The more heat milk is exposed to, the more flavor it loses. The reason for the ultra pasturization is it has longer shelf life. Restaurants go through their daily supply of milk quickly.They get a delivery every day. You local store, maybe twice a week.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yeah, I guess the 50F would be the best for most of the time.

I was served very warm goat milk (steamed warm with the espresso machine) while on vacation on Mallorca. I much preferred the taste of the goat milk cold.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

I love milk. I hae milk when it is warm or even room temperature. As far as serving it at the room temp and taste buds, totally of topick, but fruits served at the room temp taste much better. However for some reason if you order a fruit salad somehow it is always served cold and thus you are missing outon the taste. Oh, and for that matter the complete opposite is true for vodka. It abolutelly must be served from the freezer, the colder the better, but in bars it is kept on the bar and is alwasy warm, yuk.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i can drink sun warmed tequila or rum, room temp beer or soda, luke warm tea, but my milk has to be ice-freakin' cold!

32.2 sounds about right, +/- 0.19.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Head Chef

Most grocery store milk is not ultra-pasteurized, but you have to check. Ultra-pasteurized milk is labeled, but you may have to look closely to find the label, which may be merely letters in one corner, UP. The decision is often whether the dairy intends the milk for a local market or national distribution and how quickly it is expected to sell. Organic milk is more expensive and slower to sell and is therefore pretty much always ultra-pasteurized. Some may be distributed in two versions, with a small difference in the labels. The dominant local area dairy's milk under their label is conventionally pasteurized. Of course, milk distributed in the small boxes for long-term room temperature keeping is UP, and it is marked as such. While the U.S. has not had that packaging for long, it's been a standard in Europe for decades. It matters to the flavor and to whether you intend to try to make cheese or yogurt, which won't work properly with UP milk. Half and half, heavy cream, and other such products are not mostly UP, to extend the shelf life.

Conventionally pasteurized. Okay for making ricotta, yogurt, etc.:

Ultra pasteurized organic store brand in 1/2 gallon paper carton:

In many local brands, the 1/2 gallon cartons are UP, and the gallon plastic jugs are conventional. I suppose they figure people who buy gallons drink a lot of milk.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Here in Quebec, Canada, they call it UHT (Ultra High Temperature) pasteurized. I can't remember seeing cream that wasn't organic, that wasn't UHT pasteurized.

Do you guys get filtered milk? We have one brand that charges more for filtered milk. They claim that their ultra-fine filters remove most bacteria, so their pasteurized milk will stay fresh longer.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I had the hardest time drinking Canadian milk when I moved to Canada. It doesn't taste the same. I would put mint or vanilla in it so I could force it down and on the rocks. I believe it has to do with the fact that it is sold in plastic bags (most of the time) and the feed (more corn-based than the milk I grew up drinking in the Midwest. To this day, I always bring back my $20 quota of dairy when I go to the States--and most of that is milk, cottage cheese, and LoL butter. Another Canadian dairy product I just don't like is cottage cheese. It has been over 30 years, but as soon as I hit a US grocery store, I buy milk. And my favorite is either from Wisconsin or VT. I do like the organic better, but will buy non-organic. My mom drinks 2% lactose-free milk--I can't stand the aftertaste of that.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

wait, are you saying we have at least 1 thing better in the states than in canada?
woohoo! <<doing a cabbage patch dance>> we've got something betterrrr!
in de face, all you canadians!!

we've got milk!!!!!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've noticed that most milk here sold in paper cartons and most organics are ultra pasturized where milk sold in plastic jugs isn't. I wonder if the paper cartons are more sterile, and that the plastic can't be sterilized for UP milk?

I only buy milk in paper cartons (we only use about a quart per week) and pretty much never have issues with it going sour even when opened for well over a week.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
milk