"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Head Chef

If you have and IKEA around, they have a french press for around $10. For a small amount of coffee, a french press is the way to go. I use course ground coffee. Have never tried fine ground. If you can, grind your own, especially if you use only a small amount each week.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have a French Press and the critics are right - so is everyone else who stated that this is the best coffee you can imagine. The manual specifically states that the grind should be coarse grind to make the optimum flavored cup of coffee. Finer grind will seep through the filter and make your coffee muddy. I'm not sure why having your coffee ground coarsely is a problem but it's no different than pushing the dial to "drip." Just for the record I use Starbuck's Sumatra sometimes mixed with another type for a very rich, smooth cup of coffee. If I were you I would stick to the coarse grind the manufacturer recommends.
I prefer to grind my own too.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

The reason I have an issue with course ground is I do not want to have to grind my own. I much prefer the taste of fresh ground, but neither my wife nor I have the inclination to grind coffee every time we want a cup. We just would not bother doing it.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
GB - I normally make coffee with my FP with the coffee I have on hand, which is already ground for my drip coffee maker. I got some specifically ground for a FP and truly did not like it. It didn't have near the body as a regular grind. I say "have at it" with your regular grind. You will not regret a FP - you could even get just a "single serve" and save a few bucks - it only takes a couple minutes per cup.

There is a bit of sludge involved but you could easily fold over some cheesecloth to act as a filter over your cup. mmmm.... I might go try this right now!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The reason I have an issue with course ground is I do not want to have to grind my own. I much prefer the taste of fresh ground, but neither my wife nor I have the inclination to grind coffee every time we want a cup. We just would not bother doing it.
I grind enough coffee to last me for 3 days. All of the supermarkets I know of have a coffee grinder in the coffee aisle. I used to grind my drip coffee in one of those grinders.
You have to do what's best for you.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Other than the initial outlay for a burr grinder, there is really not much bother to grinding. It takes 10 seconds or so and one push of the button. Less time and bother than getting out a container of coffee and measuring out what you need. Burr grinders measure the coffee for you. I used a blade grinder for a while, and IMO they do not do as good a job, and you still have to measure.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I have used grinders before and while I know they are very quick and easy to use there is just something about it that makes it feel like a chore that I do not want to do when I want a cup of Joe.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL - I sent you karma - it's backwards - sorry

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Other than the initial outlay for a burr grinder, there is really not much bother to grinding. It takes 10 seconds or so and one push of the button. Less time and bother than getting out a container of coffee and measuring out what you need. Burr grinders measure the coffee for you. I used a blade grinder for a while, and IMO they do not do as good a job, and you still have to measure.
I agree about the ease of grinding coffee beans. I'm wondering about the burr grinder. I have a blade grinder and have no idea what a burr grinder is and how it differs. Tell me please.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Head Chef

Here ya' go, DQ Differences between burr and blade grinders

We use a moderately priced burr grinder that we bought at Starbucks a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it is the noisy, messy one that is referred to, but it works well for us, because we grind coarse for french press and extra fine for the espresso maker, and in-between for the drip coffee maker. (Yes, we are coffee freaks).