French Press Coffee Grind Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
The coffee pot we have right now is driving me crazy. We spent a lot of money on it and it is too late to return it. I will not bore you with the details of what is wrong with it.

For an inexpensive solution I was thinking of getting a French Press. My question is can I use preground drip coffee in a French Press or do I need to have a larger grind?

That is what I was afraid of.

Does anyone have any experience that contradicts DQ's experience of needing a courser grind?

I don't use a coarser grind, but that's just me. I grind my coffee beans closer to espresso grind, and I much, much prefer using a French press over a regular coffee maker What I do is, I just pour the coffee out of the French press over a small ultra-fine mesh strainer that I place over the cup to strain any coffee grinds out.

I use nothing but a French Press and just about any coffee that I get my hands on, especially free samples. :D The finer grind may allow grains to get through so I don't drink to the last drop, but otherwise I don't worry about the grind.

Buck and I much preferred the French press to any other method of making coffee. Never had a real problem with the fineness, or not, of the grind. If we used fine pre-ground coffee, we usually let the grounds settle for a while before pouring or, as ironchef already mentioned, used a fine strainer to strain out the fine grounds as we poured. French press coffee is really, really good.

Thanks guys. You have convinced me the way I hoped you would. I do not know if I will break down and buy one since we have cut out coffee except for one cup each on the weekends, but if I find that my money is burning a hole in my pocket then a FP is going to be the first thing I buy.

If you have and IKEA around, they have a french press for around $10. For a small amount of coffee, a french press is the way to go. I use course ground coffee. Have never tried fine ground. If you can, grind your own, especially if you use only a small amount each week.

I have a French Press and the critics are right - so is everyone else who stated that this is the best coffee you can imagine. The manual specifically states that the grind should be coarse grind to make the optimum flavored cup of coffee. Finer grind will seep through the filter and make your coffee muddy. I'm not sure why having your coffee ground coarsely is a problem but it's no different than pushing the dial to "drip." Just for the record I use Starbuck's Sumatra sometimes mixed with another type for a very rich, smooth cup of coffee. If I were you I would stick to the coarse grind the manufacturer recommends.
I prefer to grind my own too.

The reason I have an issue with course ground is I do not want to have to grind my own. I much prefer the taste of fresh ground, but neither my wife nor I have the inclination to grind coffee every time we want a cup. We just would not bother doing it.

GB - I normally make coffee with my FP with the coffee I have on hand, which is already ground for my drip coffee maker. I got some specifically ground for a FP and truly did not like it. It didn't have near the body as a regular grind. I say "have at it" with your regular grind. You will not regret a FP - you could even get just a "single serve" and save a few bucks - it only takes a couple minutes per cup.

There is a bit of sludge involved but you could easily fold over some cheesecloth to act as a filter over your cup. mmmm.... I might go try this right now! :)

The reason I have an issue with course ground is I do not want to have to grind my own. I much prefer the taste of fresh ground, but neither my wife nor I have the inclination to grind coffee every time we want a cup. We just would not bother doing it.

I grind enough coffee to last me for 3 days. All of the supermarkets I know of have a coffee grinder in the coffee aisle. I used to grind my drip coffee in one of those grinders.
You have to do what's best for you.

Other than the initial outlay for a burr grinder, there is really not much bother to grinding. It takes 10 seconds or so and one push of the button. Less time and bother than getting out a container of coffee and measuring out what you need. Burr grinders measure the coffee for you. I used a blade grinder for a while, and IMO they do not do as good a job, and you still have to measure.

I have used grinders before and while I know they are very quick and easy to use there is just something about it that makes it feel like a chore that I do not want to do when I want a cup of Joe.

Other than the initial outlay for a burr grinder, there is really not much bother to grinding. It takes 10 seconds or so and one push of the button. Less time and bother than getting out a container of coffee and measuring out what you need. Burr grinders measure the coffee for you. I used a blade grinder for a while, and IMO they do not do as good a job, and you still have to measure.

I agree about the ease of grinding coffee beans. I'm wondering about the burr grinder. I have a blade grinder and have no idea what a burr grinder is and how it differs. Tell me please.:ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom