Getting rid of caffeine. Does this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh sugar, how will I live without brewed tea? Kenyan tea has to be brewed in half milk half water and sugar until it nearly boils over(the first brew is the deepest!) and my favorite is tea masala (chai masala), I sprinkle masala on it when readily boiled !There is no way I will chuck out the first brew.Poor tea leaves!

well, GB, i am a bit late into this fray, but here goes:
yes, a quick brew will in fact remove the vast majority of the caffeine. however, this quickie must be very hot (boiling is good), and of a sufficient volume (at least half of what you'd normally use to brew the pot) to draw out the caffeine. you do, however, loose a good chunk of the first flush of flavors, and lots of the water-soluble vitamins.

try stash tea for a decent selection of decaf choices.

alternately, go white. white tea has very very little caffeine. most herbal blends are completely caffeine-free (unless the herb list includes yerba mate or guarana).

"white" tea = the tips of the tea leaves, delicate little silvery buds, picked and dried. minimally processed, v.high in antioxidants.
"green" tea = tea leaves picked and dried. also minimally processed and high in antioxidants, though contains slightly more caffeine than white, as the leaves themselves had more time to accumulate caffeine on the bush.
"oolong" tea = tea leaves picked, semi-fermented, and dried. these teas are the ones that work GREAT for multiple brews. less antioxidants (since, well, they've been partially oxidized), more caffeine.
"black" tea = tea leaves picked, fermented, sometimes roasted or dried. highest in caffeine & tannins, lowest in antioxidants. still *way* less caffeine per cup than coffee or colas.

Thanks fireweaver. I am guessing it did not work for me because I did not use enough water. Well I would rather not lose all that flavor from the first brew anyway so I guess I will stick to buying decaf. The only problem with that is the selection is so much more limited then the high test varieties.

I just placed an order from Stash Tea though. They had a decent selection of decaf. Between them and a few other sites I should be able to get a good variety going :)

:) This way is supposed to be a more natural and
better way to remove caffeine because the normal or old way is thru chemicals.

Chemicals is one way, but most tea houses I know of use high pressure water to remove it. I am not sure how that works, but that is what all the sites advertise.

The chemicals they used to use were the same as dry cleaning fluid. BLECH! When I was pregnant with my kids it was considered much safer to drink the caffeinated varieties of things rather than ingest all those chemicals. Now that they use water processing it is much better.

Back
Top Bottom