Green Tea Vs Matcha (Japanese powdered Green tea)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone! I haven't been here since 2012 either but I'm back :flowers: I've never forgotten my good friends here...you're all unforgettable! Love you all so much :heart:

Matcha Tea! I recently discovered this and researched a little when my daughter had bought 1 oz from "Republic of China" for $20 (ouch) at Whole Foods and froths it up in her Vita-Mix blender with almonds, water, and a medjool date (for natural sugar) which makes a latte...so that got me curious.

When I read that the best quality comes from leaves picked from the top of the tree and the best powder is a deep green color, I thought I'd try Costco's 12 oz Itoen Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder for $29 (NOT Kirkland's brand) and couldn't wait to get home to compare the color with my daughter's...HUGE difference. Her's is a dull yellowish-brownish green compared to Costco's deep pure green.

She said, if you want to do it right, you HAVE to use a tiny Bamboo whisk. "BOO!" is right...it was $19 just for this little bamboo whisk! I followed the directions and wowzers is that ever strong (1/2 tsp in 6 oz. hot water). But did I ever feel like I'd been fed an instant boost of health intravenously!

Flavor was good but a little bitter. I think I'll use the Latte recipe next time where I can add some almond milk and half a medjool date.

Here's the clincher; will I ever use up all 21 oz by Expiration Oct 13 2018?? Let's see, there are 6 tsp in 1 ounce. There are 12 oz of powder in the bag. That's 72 servings. Yup, I can do this.

Unknown.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the clincher; will I ever use up all 21 oz by Expiration Oct 13 2018?? Let's see, there are 6 tsp in 1 ounce. There are 12 oz of powder in the bag. That's 72 servings. Yup, I can do this.

I can easily use that up myself, within 3 months.

But if you think that's more than you can use you can host a tea ceremony.....
You already got the wisk.....:LOL:

One thing to notice when buying Matcha is how bright green the powder is.

If it is yellowish green, or even looks a little brown, it could be an inferior product, or one that has aged badly.

The plants are shaded in the final month before harvest to force the plant to make them work harder, thus creating the good stuff in it that we're looking for.

Besides not tasting as good in the off color stuff, you'll not get the health benefits that you're expecting.

The best ones that I've had were sort of a kelly green. Almost vibrant in color. But yeah, the good stuff is expensive. I think I spent about $25 or $30 per ounce for it.

...I researched a little when my daughter had bought 1 oz from "Republic of China" for $20 (ouch) at Whole Foods...When I read that the best quality comes from leaves picked from the top of the tree and the best powder is a deep green color, I thought I'd try Costco's 12 oz Itoen Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder for $29 (see pic) and couldn't wait to get home to compare the color with my daughter's...HUGE difference. Her's is a dull yellowish-brownish green compared to Costco's deep pure green.
Thank you bucky tom but, yes, Costco's Matcha Tea powder is a beautiful kelly green ceremonial quality. It's 12oz for $29.

Correction: I typed "21oz" in last paragraph of previous post instead of "12oz". It's suppose to be 12oz.

Last edited:
Hi mollyanne..

I don't know if you might be interested in things to make with Matcha tea but, Nami Chen is a wonderful Japanese food blogger who presents really good recipes.. I have made many of her offerings..
She has a number of recipes utilizing Match tea. There may be something of interest to you in learning of this tea.. :)

https://www.justonecookbook.com/?s=Matcha+tea

Ross

How did you do that, Ross? You read my mind! I was just saying to my daughter that I'd love some good recipes that call for matcha tea. I checked out your link and love love love it. In fact, got lost in it as I followed links that led to other links.

I lived in Japan for 3 years so I feel a connection. The recipes that are cooked though makes me wonder if you lose any of the the nutritional value when heated. I guess not since the tea is very hot (just shy of boiling point). Thank you for your post.

It's 1:30 am here and I couldn't sleep, so I came here to find one of my very favorite old timers posting again!! You and I joined DC within days of one another. Ykies GF.. it's 4:30 am at your house. You couldn't sleep either? Dang, it's so good to have you back MA!!! :wub:

Ironic about the Matcha tea thing. I've been looking at a small tin of it sitting next to my monitor for so long there's dust on top of it. It's never been opened, and I must have bought it on line thinking it was a good idea at the time. Holy cow, now I see that it's "best by Sept. '15"!! Do I need to throw it away? :ohmy:

Last edited:
It's 1:30 am here and I couldn't sleep, so I came here to find one of my very favorite old timers posting again!! You and I joined DC within days of one another. Ykies GF.. it's 4:30 am at your house. You couldn't sleep either? Dang, it's so good to have you back MA!!! :wub:

Ironic about the Matcha tea thing. I've been looking at a small tin of it sitting next to my monitor for so long there's dust on top of it. It's never been opened, and I must have bought it on line thinking it was a good idea at the time. Holy cow, now I see that it's "best by Sept. '15"!! Do I need to throw it away? :ohmy:
I have had sealed tea that was fine after years, but it wasn't Matcha. I would open it up and sniff it and look at the colour. Then decide.

Hi Mollyanne, good to see you back. Waves.

How did you do that, Ross? You read my mind! I was just saying to my daughter that I'd love some good recipes that call for matcha tea. I checked out your link and love love love it. In fact, got lost in it as I followed links that led to other links.

I lived in Japan for 3 years so I feel a connection. The recipes that are cooked though makes me wonder if you lose any of the the nutritional value when heated. I guess not since the tea is very hot (just shy of boiling point). Thank you for your post.
My pleasure... :)

I truly enjoy Nami and each recipe I have made has been very good.. Her videos are fun.. She is adorable..

Ross

Last edited:
TaxLady *waves back* and Kayelle, thanks for the happy welcome :)

Kayelle, I read that Matcha will last you a year unopened, and 6 months opened and sealed in an airtight no-light container, and in the fridge.

Here's some great answers to FAQs Matcha Q & A

roadfix, I've read some great reviews about the quality of TJ's Matcha powder in tea bags but I'm not so sure about the latte.

Cow's milk is not good to use because it wrecks havoc with the nutritional benefits. Check out my FAQ link.

Last edited:

Looks like Nami-san has a new follower...

Back
Top Bottom