"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Healthy Coffee Beans

I'm a newcomer in the world of coffee. Since I have changed my diet and decided to combine taste and health as much as possible, I would like to know if healthy coffee beans actually exist.

Do they roast different beans using the same temperature? More importantly; do coffee beans maintain their health benefits after roasting???

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance...

Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Here a site that somewhat talks about healthy coffee Healthy Coffee, Healthy Beverages, Gano Excel Healthy Coffee

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Coffee is nature's perfect food!
Health Benefits of Coffee - WebMD
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Coffee is nature's perfect food!
Health Benefits of Coffee - WebMD
Don't get me wrong, I like coffee and drink only the best I can find... Kona blend beans that I grind myself...

BUT more than two cups every other day and it plays havoc with my arthritis, inflaming all of my joints. It's a price I'm willing to pay at times, but "perfect food!?" I don't think so!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like coffee and drink only the best I can find... Kona blend beans that I grind myself...

BUT more than two cups every other day and it plays havoc with my arthritis, inflaming all of my joints. It's a price I'm willing to pay at times, but "perfect food!?" I don't think so!
Oh Selkie my dear friend, coffee really IS nature's most perfect food. What else can you drink that has zero calories, aids digestion/is a diuretic, suppresses appetite, boosts energy, is suspected to help stave off some cognitive degeneration, and other things like breast cancer etc. OK, so there might be a FEW little downsides for some people.

Seriously though, everything in moderation, including coffee. (Hard one for me to stick to!)

Argamemnon, when you say you are trying to eat "healthier" what exactly does that mean? Coffee does have some known health benefits, but also has some negative effects. You must weigh for yourself whether the benefits are stronger than the negatives.

IMO coffee is good for you if you don't abuse it. And I prefer Costa Rican coffee myself. I buy 1820's coffee, its fantastic. When we were in Costa Rica I got hooked and still haven't found a coffee with better flavor.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

I have to admit I used to be a three pot a day drinker, but am down to two cups (coffee mugs, really four cups) a day myself....otherwise I can't sleep and I still haven't found a decaf worth drinking.

Here's a solution to arthritis that has worked for a couple of relatives and friends:
Gin-Soaked Raisins - Can Gin-Soaked Raisins Really Help Arthritis?

It doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to roast coffee beans myself, and buy an aeropress coffee maker.

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

Selkie,

If you have arthritis consume fresh ginger tea or simply eat ginger daily (add a small amount to your meals). Also, consume real (ceylon) cinnamon; combine two teaspoons of (ceylon) cinnamon with one teaspoon of raw honey in luke warm water. According to research these two foods/spices can even cure arthritis.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Correction: combine half a teaspoon (ceylon) cinnamon with one tablespoon raw honey.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Argamemnon, when you say you are trying to eat "healthier" what exactly does that mean? Coffee does have some known health benefits, but also has some negative effects. You must weigh for yourself whether the benefits are stronger than the negatives.
Healthy foods are those that are the richest sources of many essential nutrients needed for optimal health and vitality, and promote good health. At the same time, one has to avoid unhealthy processed foods.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have an Aeropress, and love it. When you only want a single cup, it's the best cup you're going to get. It's not effortless like a pod, K-cup or T-disc machine, but for your effort, you're rewarded with a much stronger, more customizable cup. It's essentially a one cup french press.

I've never had the desire to roast my own coffee, but I know quite a few people who have on a coffee forum I frequent. They go on and on about these folks: Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's