"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Jovin...I am in Canada...remember? I round my scoops. Mine is pretty worn...but I think I go up to 10 cups too. And the cup size is smaller...not 8 oz. Ugh...too early...need more coffee to think!!
What's the matter with me! I am so slow sometimes...yes...I'm having trouble because it's morning too, but I'm also having computer problems...so bear with me. Also, too darned many phonecalls are interupting me!
Thanks for all your help.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:30 PM   #12
Everymom

LOL! Hey I relate...I get that way without coffee too...just ask my poor kids!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
STORAGE
Air is a coffee bean's worst enemy. Store ground or whole beans in an airtight container in a cool, dark place - but not in the refrigerator. Do not store next to onions, garlic, or strongly aromatic foods. (Coffee absorbs odors.) Freezing protects flavor integrity, so you may freeze excess beans over longer periods of time. There is no need to thaw before grinding.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. Coffee SHOULD be kept in the fridge. Although I do agree with the air tight container :)

And you should never freeze coffee!!!! Just remember to treat coffee like you would fresh food and you will be ok :)

All the other advice was great though! :)
Old 11-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #14

Or we can go to Hortons, and get some of the finest tasting coffee on offer anywhere!

And buy their product and bring it home....

Lifter
Old 11-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #15
Executive Chef

All this talk about grinding your own coffee, what brand of coffee grinder do you recommend? do you really think it is worth it? Aren't you anxious to get the coffee as soon as possible?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #16
Everymom

ITK, I think I mentioned my old Braun grinder a while ago. I stick by that. It has never failed me, and it works quick too. Just scoop in what you need for the pot and hit the button til it is ground the way you like it. It is quick enough that I don't go into withdrawl immediately ;)

Jovin, where the heck have you been? Did your computer die?

Lifter, with my particular coffee addiction, I would have to own my own Hortons or it would be way TOO expensive for me!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:

Jovin, where the heck have you been? Did your computer die?

funny you should say that...YES! Well, almost! major problems...still working on them, and lost my internet connection (cable was down too)

I'm still around but dying over my Laci Peterson trial! We lost another juror today!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #18
Everymom

Whew. Glad you are still with us. How goes the percolator problems? No hurry to answer...whenever you get your computer fixed I will be here. Oh, and I sympathize...mine was very sick until Monday...all better now YAY!!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Whew. Glad you are still with us. How goes the percolator problems? No hurry to answer...whenever you get your computer fixed I will be here. Oh, and I sympathize...mine was very sick until Monday...all better now YAY!!
percolater doing well...still not sure if I'm getting everyone pleased..but I keep changing the amount and some are pleased...so I don't use it everyday though.

Hey, do you have coffee grinds in the bottom of your cup though? I do...maybe I should have it ground chunkier like you.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:58 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I like to use Arabica beans and avoid the Robusta.
Using good water is a plus, but if you have to use the tap stuff, a water filter is nice.
I also like to treat myself to coffee from a French press. It is much tastier, and I only use the coffeemaker when I need a lot really fast.