Hot Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skilletlicker said:
For several years now I've kept Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa Mix in the cupboard. It's much more of a homemade convenience product than the "warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean..." recipe VeraBlue described but nonetheless, I think it's very good.

That is a nice recipe for using confectioner's sugar, I think. Most don't. Thanks.

I’ve not seen this in the US but in other countries I’ve been served very thick hot chocolate (so thick you could rest your spoon on top of it) that was always served with cinnamon donut sticks. Anybody know how to make that kind of hot chocolate. Is there a mix?

Hot White Chocolate with Ginger

I have not tried this yet, but it looks amazing and a cool change of pace from normal hot chocolate.

Hot White Chocolate with Ginger

2/3 c chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c water
8 c fat-free milk
1 c chopped premium white baking chocolate (about 4 oz; such as Ghiradelli)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is golden (about 5 mintues), stirring frequently. Remove from heat, cool slightly.

Add milk and chocolate, stirring with a whisk. Heat over medium-low heat to 180F or until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, stirring frequently (do not boil). Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.

If any of you hot chocolate lovers get the chance to sample/purchase some of Schokinag's hot chocolate, do NOT pass up the opp!

I sampled it at the Restaurant Show in Chicago in May, and again at the Fancy Food Show in NY in July, and it is better than any I have ever enjoyed -- and believe me, that's a lot! :) :rolleyes:

§
Well here's a recipe for the hot chocolate I described above. I haven't tried this yet, but if it's anything like what I had in spain, I'm sure it will be excellent.

Thick Spanish Hot Chocolate
½ cup (55g) Unsweetened powdered cocoa
§1 cup (200 g) sugar
§7 tsb (25g) cornstarch (cornfour)
§½ cup (120 ml) water
§4 cups (1 l) milk

§Mix the cocoa and sugar together.
§Dissolve the cornstarch (cornflour) in the water and combine with the cocoa-sugar mixture in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir this until it is a smooth paste.
§Begin heating this mixture, continuously stirring it with a whisk. Gradually pour in the milk. Continue stirring as you bring it to a simmer.
§Simmer, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. The cocoa is ready when it thickens and is glossy and smooth.
Serves with churros (a sugary doughnut stick)

kitchenelf said:
That's what I use too.

Am I one of the few that REALLY likes just a cup of warm milk on a chilly night? It has to be whole milk though - skim just doesn't cut it this time.

I didn't eat chocolate as a child so my mother would make me a drink called Melted Ice Cream.

Heat the milk in a mug with some vanilla and sugar. When it's ready to drink, grind some nutmeg on top. This is so good to me.

mudbug said:
Thanks for th tip, ChefJ. I respect your opinions based on your background. Is that an Amerikansky company, or other?
It's NOT American, MB, and I'm not sure whether it's Swiss, German, Austrian... but it sure is deeeeelicious! :)

ChefJune said:
If any of you hot chocolate lovers get the chance to sample/purchase some of Schokinag's hot chocolate, do NOT pass up the opp!

I sampled it at the Restaurant Show in Chicago in May, and again at the Fancy Food Show in NY in July, and it is better than any I have ever enjoyed -- and believe me, that's a lot! :) :rolleyes:

I checked out that brand and found several different kinds such as white chocolate, mocha, strawberries and white chocolate, triple chocolate, and dulce de leche. Do you have a favorite?

I can remember getting a drink at cafe ages ago...not sure where. Called molten hot chocolate. It was amazing....it tasted like melted chocolate and was the same colour and just about the same consistency. Not a drink for dieters though!

Back
Top Bottom