"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Hot Chocolate

I had my first mug of hot chocolate tonight. I really wanted tea, but I go to bed so early that it sometimes disturbs my sleep.

But, I was chilled and needed something. I warmed some milk in a pot with a bit of chocolate syrup, a pinch of vanilla and the tiniest dash of nutmeg.

When I really have time, I'll warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean and a dash of brandy. Then, top it with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.

I never much cared for those marshmallows floating about. Something creepy about watching them melt helplessly into the cup..

Anyone else have a good hot chocolate recipe?

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook
hot chocolate

I like the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa powder box

tdejarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Hot cocoa with a bit of Peppermint Schnapps . . . . . ooh la la!

"Heaven! I'm in Heaven . . . . . "
Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Head Chef
For several years now I've kept Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa Mix in the cupboard. It's much more of a homemade convenience product than the "warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean..." recipe VeraBlue described but nonetheless, I think it's very good.
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Head Chef
My grandmother used to do something with a skillet, cocoa, sugar, butter and milk that was to die for! I wish she was around now to teach me her secret ...

And I'm with you Verablue - no marshmellow!
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by tdejarnette
I like the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa powder box
That's what I use too.

Am I one of the few that REALLY likes just a cup of warm milk on a chilly night? It has to be whole milk though - skim just doesn't cut it this time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
Head Chef
The best, without doubt, that you can make at home is with Charbonel and Walker Hot Chocolate. It comes in beautiful tins, and is flakes of very lovely milk chocolate. I add the chocolate to a milk pan and use a whisk to stir...rather than actually whisk. I don't know why but this is an important bit of the making for me- the whisk! This is the quickest and easiest and best way to make hot milk chocolate. Its not too sweet.

We have cocoa if we fancy something darker and deeper.

I like the marshmallows, occasionally. I am more likely to add a slug of dark rum and cinnamon! mmmmmmmmm if you have never tried it you simply have to.

Sometimes instead of rum and cinnamon I and a couple of bashed cardomon pods to intoxicate me with their smell. My "diet" night time drink is simply hot skimmed milk with the cardomon. The fragance is delightfully indulgent.

I love nutmeg but have never added it to hot chocolate. Its to hot here still but maybe its cool enough in England. I'll try it next time I'm hot chocolating!
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I look at the recipe off an old container of hersey's cocoa I keep just for the recipe. I do not use hersey's anything, I buy my cocoa from Penzeys and buy a variety of their cocoa's.

I usually use half again as much milk as the recipe calls for; I use 6 cups of milk if the recipe calls for 4 cups of milk. I use whole goats milk and a splash of vanilla. Ohmygosh is it good!!!!!

I honestly have never tried warm milk on a chilly night.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef
We usually make the Ibarra mexican hot chocolate. It is very tasty!

There is a place in town, this little belgian restaurant, that has the best hc I've ever tasted! Their food isn't all that incredible but the hc is out of this world. The chop up the chocolate and melt it into the milk. Maybe the put some vanilla in or something. Try as we might, we can't reproduce it. I think we need to find out what brand of choc they use, that probably makes all the difference.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Head Chef
I do what my mother did. At the begining of the winter I will make a big batch of dried hot chocolate mix, it last through the whole winter. That way when I want a cup I only have to add a little milk and water and heat it up in the microwave.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote