Hot Chocolate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes I like some hot chocolate for a nice bedtime drink, but the mixes in packages are just too sweet for my taste, especially since I like to add a crushed starlight mint.

I went looking for a less sweet mix and excitedly grabbed a container of Nestles' Quik - no sugar added. GAH! Still way too sweet.

Does anyone have an idea what I could use? Cocoa, maybe? I don't want to fuss with dirtying a pan, just something easy to pop into the microwave.

I'd like to be able to add my own sugar so I can have a strong chocolate flavor without a lot of sugar, or to be able to add marshmallows without ODing on sugar. Maybe even using the marshmallows as the sweetener.

Here is what I do instead of buying hot cocoa mix.

3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups Special dark Hershey's cocoa
1 cup coffee creamer
1teaspoon salt
5 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk

Mix together and store in an airtight container.
For a cup of cocoa, put 1/3 cup mix in a coffee mug and add hot water.

You could use less sugar if you don't like it as sweet, although it is not as sweet as some. :)

Z, you could also make up this mix without the sugar, and add the sugar when you make a cup.

Here is what I do instead of buying hot cocoa mix.

3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups Special dark Hershey's cocoa
1 cup coffee creamer
1teaspoon salt
5 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk

Mix together and store in an airtight container.
For a cup of cocoa, put 1/3 cup mix in a coffee mug and add hot water.

You could use less sugar if you don't like it as sweet, although it is not as sweet as some. :)

That sounds lovely Chops :)

I bet that's a good recipe Chopper!

I seldom drink hot chocolate, but just the other day I made some for Steve and I with the old standby recipe on the side of my box of Hershey's Cocoa. The amount of sugar you use can be up to you. For me, there's just nothing like the real deal. :yum:

Kayelle said:
I bet that's a good recipe Chopper!

I seldom drink hot chocolate, but just the other day I made some for Steve and I with the old standby recipe on the side of my box of Hershey's Cocoa. The amount of sugar you use can be up to you. For me, there's just nothing like the real deal. :yum:

I love the recipe on the cocoa box. I make it that way if I don't have any of the mix made up.

I found a recipe that uses white chocolate instead of the creamer. I don't keep creamer. Also superfine sugar instead of the powdered sugar.

Thanks for the idea!

Sometimes I like some hot chocolate for a nice bedtime drink, but the mixes in packages are just too sweet for my taste, especially since I like to add a crushed starlight mint.

I went looking for a less sweet mix and excitedly grabbed a container of Nestles' Quik - no sugar added. GAH! Still way too sweet.

Does anyone have an idea what I could use? Cocoa, maybe? I don't want to fuss with dirtying a pan, just something easy to pop into the microwave.

I'd like to be able to add my own sugar so I can have a strong chocolate flavor without a lot of sugar, or to be able to add marshmallows without ODing on sugar. Maybe even using the marshmallows as the sweetener.

Be aware and make at your own risk. This is the ultimate hot chocolate. It truly might be deat-by-chocolate!:ohmy:

Ingredients:
10 oz. half 'n half
1 ea. 3.5 oz bar of Lindt 70% cacao dark chocolate bar
1 ea. 3.5 oz, bar Dove dark chocolate bar
a pinch of cinamon

Heat the half 'n half in a double boiler (or in a sauce pan over low heat if you can do it without scorching the bottom). Break up the chocolate and whisk it in until it is completely blended. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from the heat. Pout it into a large mug and escape to Nervana.

You will be consuming about 1200 calories, and spend about $4 for this velvety smooth hot chocolate. But you will die very happy.:LOL:

For my DW, I used Lindt and Dove milk chocolate. Yeh, she loved it, then told me never to make it for her again. It was simply too indulgent, and expensive for a cup of hot chocolate. I say, have it once in a great while, when you need a super chocolate fix,;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Be aware and make at your own risk. This is the ultimate hot chocolate. It truly might be deat-by-chocolate!:ohmy:

Ingredients:
10 oz. half 'n half
a pinch of cinamon

Heat the half 'n half in a double boiler (or in a sauce pan over low heat if you can do it without scorching the bottom). Break up the chocolate and whisk it in until it is completely blended. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from the heat. Pout it into a large mug and escape to Nervana.

You will be consuming about 1200 calories, and spend about $4 for this velvety smooth hot chocolate. But you will die very happy.:LOL:

For my DW, I used Lindt and Dove milk chocolate. Yeh, she loved it, then told me never to make it for her again. It was simply too indulgent, and expensive for a cup of hot chocolate. I say, have it once in a great while, when you need a super chocolate fix,;)

I'd lob a snowball, but I'd hit one of the girls instead...

I agree with DW, thanks, but don't ever make it again...:pig:

I'd lob a snowball, but I'd hit one of the girls instead...

I agree with DW, thanks, but don't ever make it again...:pig:

You couldn't drink ore than a cup every six months without becoming addicted.:yum:

It's for the "True" chocolate lover. It's made to sip, and then to swirl it around in your mouth, making sure it touches every part of your tongue. You should place your nose over the cup, to breath in the rich, chocolate aroma. See it, taste it, touch it, smell it. Experience this with all of your senses (except maybe hearing).

Children, step back. You aren't developed enough to appreciate the texture and flavor yet. Wait until you're at least 18.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You couldn't drink ore than a cup every six months without becoming addicted.:yum:

It's for the "True" chocolate lover. It's made to sip, and then to swirl it around in your mouth, making sure it touches every part of your tongue. You should place your nose over the cup, to breath in the rich, chocolate aroma. See it, taste it, touch it, smell it. Experience this with all of your senses (except maybe hearing).

Children, step back. You aren't developed enough to appreciate the texture and flavor yet. Wait until you're at least 18.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I need a bathtub full!:rolleyes:

Thanks!!!

Luckily, I have lots of dried milk, thanks to the monthly commodities charity and a couple of friends who give me theirs. I also use creamer, so it looks like a can of cocoa needs to go on the grocery list.

I rarely buy sweets, so I usually had kept a box of packaged mixes, but hated that to get the strong chocolate flavor, I had to deal with sickeningly sweet.

I figured cocoa would be the answer, but just wanted to confirm it with my DC friends. Thanks for the quick responses!

I think what I"ll do for now is just add cocoa to the overly sweet Quik. That'll keep me in hot chocolate for months.

Last edited:
A tiny sprinkling of "Quick" looks great on a café au lait, cappuccino, or other coffee pale enough for it to show, or on top of whipped cream on coffee :rolleyes: It tastes much nicer than a sprinkle of cocoa.

Hmm, I wonder if it would work on chocolate truffles instead of the dusting of cocoa.

I don't usually have any whole milk in the house for the Hershey's Cocoa so a can of evaporated milk diluted with a little water works well for me.

On my way to bed by way of the kitchen. ;):yum:

Every morning before heading out the door to school, my mother made it the same way with Hershey's cocoa and evap. milk. Today, when I have a hankering for a cup of cocoa, I still do it her way. I keep evap. milk on hand for such an event. Winter is coming. Time to start drinking more cocoa. :angel:

Ingredients:
10 oz. half 'n half
a pinch of cinamon

This does sound decadent :yum:

This does sound decadent :yum:

Don't listen to him Kylie. He is just trying to put the weight on all us girls. His recipe is beyond decadent. It is deadly. It will kill your desire for any other chocolate drink. You will find yourself walking through the Outback barefoot in search of that drink. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom