"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #81
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
Anymore, if you ask me how I like my coffee, I would have to say as coffee liqueur in a White Russian. I love those things! It's like a dessert, coffee, and cocktail all rolled into one.

__________________

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #82
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 8,453
OMGosh Steve....now you've done it. I want one of those right now.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #83
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
OMGosh Steve....now you've done it. I want one of those right now.
Me, too! I just went to make one, and realized I had the vodka and cream, but no kahlua. It's not quite the same with that.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #84
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,941
....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	052475ed54543c1c5fbbc7b20c48865f4e0e15-v5-wm (2).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	30963  
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #85
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 8,453

Yes, Steve....must have kahlua! I don't even have vodka, but I think I need to buy both to have on hand. Looks wonderful.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Anymore, if you ask me how I like my coffee, I would have to say as coffee liqueur in a White Russian. I love those things! It's like a dessert, coffee, and cocktail all rolled into one.
Strange you brought this up. I just saw this morning when I came on.
I had a sombrero (I think itís called something else now) last night. No vodka just kahlua and half & half. Yum. Never really liked vodka much.


Name:   07E97B87-06EC-4721-8D79-0045330BEF6E.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  20.0 KB
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #87
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 728
GG, you must have been to the wrong places! Coffee is a ritual - if you keep away from the tourist areas. Where I live, the coffee bars are superb - or is it that 'Italian superb coffee' is not your idea of what you think and is not what you really want. You live across the Pond, and you views are very different from what, at the other side of the Pond expect!

There are many differences between 'Italian in Italy' to 'Italian in the USA'!

di reston


Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
GG, you must have been to the wrong places! Coffee is a ritual - if you keep away from the tourist areas.
So you're saying Italian baristas don't do the flourish for tourists? That seems strange.

I don't think most of the places where we stopped for coffee were necessarily in tourist areas, unless you count the entire cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Where I live, the coffee bars are superb - or is it that 'Italian superb coffee' is not your idea of what you think and is not what you really want. You live across the Pond, and you views are very different from what, at the other side of the Pond expect!
I know things are different Across the Pond. That's why I travel. All I'm saying is that I didn't experience what you describe. The latte was great, though. Nice afternoon pick-me-up after walking around all day.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #89
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Strange you brought this up. I just saw this morning when I came on.
I had a sombrero (I think it’s called something else now) last night. No vodka just kahlua and half & half. Yum. Never really liked vodka much.
It might be the brand. I've read articles where people will claim that one vodka is pretty much like any other, but I no longer believe that to be true. For a long time, I used to use a lower shelf brand called UV that I thought was decent. But then someone left a bottle of Belvedere (a Polish vodka) at my house and I taste tested it next to the UV. I was very much surprised at how much smoother it was. I've since tried Absolut, Stoli, Smirnoff, and a few others. I keep going back to the Belvedere, though. For me, it doesn't have the "burn" that some of the others have.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It might be the brand. I've read articles where people will claim that one vodka is pretty much like any other, but I no longer believe that to be true. For a long time, I used to use a lower shelf brand called UV that I thought was decent. But then someone left a bottle of Belvedere (a Polish vodka) at my house and I taste tested it next to the UV. I was very much surprised at how much smoother it was. I've since tried Absolut, Stoli, Smirnoff, and a few others. I keep going back to the Belvedere, though. For me, it doesn't have the "burn" that some of the others have.
I've tried all the big name top shelf brands, just don't care for it really.
__________________

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coffee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.