How to store coffee beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I recently decided that I want to grind my own coffee beans (since I've heard that it's way better that way) so I bought a nice Breville grinder. But it really only has the capacity to grind that day's worth of coffee. So I'm wondering what do I do with the other beans that I buy? I really do not have time to go to the store every other day to buy fresh beans, so how can I store my coffee beans so that they will not get bad/stale? Fridge? Freezer? Room temperature? What is best? Obviously an airtight container but aside from that?

According to my brother, who is a coffee roaster, coffee will last quite a while if it is not preground. He advises to store the beans in a closed dark container and only open to fill the grinder. Large quantities he (and I) stores in the freezer, but, again, only open to fill the storage container as moisture causes damage. It is probably more important to buy coffee from a high volume outlet than what you do with it yourself. Those open storage barrels in a hot store are probably not the best environment. Coffee is better fresh ground. Next, get an inexpensive french press and try it. For small quantities of coffee, from a cup to 4 or 5, they are worth the trouble IMO. Bought mine at IKEA, 10 bucks.

In the fridge or freezer is best. The coffee still tastes just as good and is just as easy to grind if the beans get frozen.

Also, I think it is best to grind just enough beans for your next pot or cup of coffee just before you make it rather than the beans for all day. The coffee tastes best when it is newly ground.

Mel :)

I have read that storing beans in the fridge or freezer is not ideal as condensation will form on the beans which is not good for them. An airtight container in a cool dark place is the best place to keep them.

That said, I have kept them in the freezer and never had a problem doing so.

Our Coffee Beans

We have a glass old fashioned coffee grinder in our kitchen. Keep 1/2 full of coffee beans for every morning grind or again during the day.

The other we store in the original bag closed tightly in the back of our refrigerator. We have stored some in the freezer too. I find the refrigerator works out best.

We usually purchase a two pound red bag of the Eight-o'clock. Or Gevilia
on occasion ..Breakfast Blend. Always use coffee beans.

Any airtight container is the best place to store them. Lots of folks use the fridge or freezer, which is fine as long as your container is airtight. Lots of folks also dont realize that storing in the fridge freezer in anything other than an airtight container can dilute the potency of your beans.

Store it in beans, and ground only the amount you need for the day. Airtight container. Constant temperature (does not have to be in the freezer)—could be room. Avoid humidity and hot temperatures.

Storing coffee

Perfect! To the point and accurate. Coffee is like lettuce. Keep it fresh, store it for a very short time, consume it and love it!

Its funny to see this thread be resurrected at this particular time. I just bought some coffee from a local store and was told emphatically to never ever store my beans or coffee in the freezer or fridge. Something about the cold messing with the oil on the beans and ruining the flavour. I don't store my coffee in the fridge anymore. I have one cupboard dedicated to tea and coffee and my coffee is all stored in airtight, dark containers. Nothing that air or light can penetrate. Having said that...neither coffee nor tea tend to last long here.

I have heard the same thing about the freezer and coffee Alix. The cold causes condensation when the beans are taken out of the freezer and that negatively affects the coffee. I have never personally noticed a difference myself, but if you are someone who can taste the subtle differences then this is something you may want to pay attention to.

FAQ - About Our Coffee

In an air-tight container, I don't think the coffee will pick up any odors, but I'm not sure about condensation.

From that link you posted jet...
Should I keep my coffee in the refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresh?
Neither. Freezers and refrigerators are full of odors that your coffee will absorb - you could end up with chicken-flavored coffee! Refrigeration also causes condensation on the coffee that will cause the flavor to deteriorate rapidly.

NICE! You guys are so smart! Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom