I broke up with Green Mountain today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it true that in the US, you all drink soft light coffees all day long?
In France, coffee is drunk at breakfast time and after the lunch. 3 coffee spoons of coffee (mix of robusta and arabica) for a mug.
In the morning or afternoon work break, dishwater coffee at the office machine.

The U.S. is a very big place, so it's hard to generalize about anything :) Most of the time, I have two cups of medium-roast coffee every morning, with real sugar and hazelnut creamer. Occasionally, I have a mocha caffé at a coffee shop. But that's just me.

Is it true that in the US, you all drink soft light coffees all day long?
In France, coffee is drunk at breakfast time and after the lunch. 3 coffee spoons of coffee (mix of robusta and arabica) for a mug.
In the morning or afternoon work break, dishwater coffee at the office machine.

Some do drink coffee all day long. We have dishwater coffee in offices and school lounges here too!

The U.S. is a very big place, so it's hard to generalize about anything :) Most of the time, I have two cups of medium-roast coffee every morning, with real sugar and hazelnut creamer. Occasionally, I have a mocha caffé at a coffee shop. But that's just me.

So true. It seems the only thing the whole country can agree on is Starbucks and Dunkin' Donut. Either one is the place to go to the drive through for coffee on the go.

Change that to vanilla creamer and that would be me.

Sorry, ............Can't beat that nice cup of tea!

I don't understand folks who get tea at the drive-thru. The tea bag only costs them pennies and the cost of the paper cup is only a few cents more. Yet they charge almost as much as a cup of coffee. :angel:

I don't understand folks who get tea at the drive-thru. The tea bag only costs them pennies and the cost of the paper cup is only a few cents more. Yet they charge almost as much as a cup of coffee. :angel:

The cost of everything is more if you buy it rather than make it. People do it for the convenience. Shouldn't be a surprise.

We only drank coffee in the morning and always used a regular coffee pot.
Since my MIL likes coffee throughout the day, my wife bought a single serve machine. Keurig is the name.

She also bought this little container that holds ground coffee and is used in place of the K-Cups.
You ad your own choice of coffee and as much or little as you need and it fits right into the K-Cup receptacle.
So no need to buy "their" coffee. We can use any kind we want. Its always Kirkland Signature 100% Colombian.

However, when I am in Costco next time, I will look at the K-Cups and see how much they are. Sometimes it pays for the convenience.

Costco has the best prices we've found for the Kcups RB. I wouldn't trade our Keurig for any coffee maker anywhere. Between the two of us we drink 4, sometimes 5 cups. Like anything else, you get what you pay for and it's just a little simple pleasure in life. If your MIL is happy with the cup she gets with the less expensive coffee for the refilable cup I'd leave well enough alone. I don't know how they pack so much flavor into those one time only Kcups, but they do.

Sorry, ............Can't beat that nice cup of tea!
Don't worry menumaker, I enjoy tea too. In fact, I first have to wake up my taste buds with tea before I can drink coffee. First cup is always hot tea with a small bit of sugar and some dairy. I think the milk we have at home is too weak (we drink 1% butterfat), and half-and-half (about 12% butterfat) is a bit too rich. I mix them pretty much 50-50. Some days I stay with my tea English style all day. But whenever we travel, whether for the day or a long vacation, we always leave the house with our large travel mug each, plus a small (half-litre?) thermos of coffee for seconds.

I have a home Keurig and a travel Keurig. One to two cups in the morning with cream and sugar. Weekends are maybe up to 4 cups a day. Shrek most times has only one cup a day.

I have a Tassimo and I don't like that I can't do refill cups or shop around for better prices. My mom gifted it to me and I really like the coffee that comes out of it. I'll use it until it dies, 3 years and still going strong.

I have a home Keurig and a travel Keurig. One to two cups in the morning with cream and sugar. Weekends are maybe up to 4 cups a day. Shrek most times has only one cup a day.
Hey, whatever works for you, right? If someone likes their Keurig, that's fine by me. Since we're the big-pot kind of people though, I've been feeling a bit unloved by Green Mountain. Over the last couple years more and more of what we like has become available in ground only too. I like the smell of the whole bean as it's grinding right under my nose.

When I looked around for alternatives, I was surprised at the price of Dean's coffee. Very competitive compared to any quality coffees out there. Needless to say, Cheep Me was delighted to find out that we love their coffee as much as or more than what else is out there. :bounce:

CG, if you're a member at Costco, check out their selection of whole beans. I bought a bag of Starbucks French Roast whole beans for a cost of $6.49 (give or take) per pound. They also have Peet's coffee and several other brands. At $6.49/Lb average cost, it's about as cheap as it gets for premium coffees.

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but the nearest Costco is about 60 miles from us. I noticed a while back that they opened an Ohio location the next city over from where we used to live. After reading all the praises that are heaped upon them by those of you who can shop there I fully intend to consider the distance to Costco from our next house.

Those are some mighty fine coffee prices. But, like a true Cleveland sports fan, I'm familiar with the phrase "wait till next year". Looks like that is now becoming my mantra for our move back home. :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom