Ice tea and directions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK this may sound a bit weird, but a while ago a friend of mine and myself came up with a theory that anyone who drinks iced tea year round (at least in areas with a cold winter) has a horrible sense of direction. If you only drink iced tea in the warm months though then your sense of direction is fine.

Do you drink it year round and how is your sense of direction?

Very interesting question, GB. I may be the converse of your proposition.

I (ahem) have an exceptional sense of direction, both day and night. I always thought that was because I have sailed since I was about ten years old. Overcast or sunny, I can find my way on land and at sea. Could it, instead, be the tea???

I drink iced tea sparingly in the summer, and occasionally in the winter, but I drink more copious amounts of hot tea year round.

And you?

Interesting. I am a sailor as well and have been for close to as long as you (since I was about 12 or so). I drink iced tea all year long. I drink hot tea mostly in the winter, but since I have kicked my coffee habit I find that I will occasionally have tea after a nice dinner if everyone else is going to have something hot.

Sorry, Geebs, but this IS wierd. If I drink a lot of beer, does that make me left-handed? I need you to splain the relationship between two apparently unrelated things.

I am trying to figure out the relationship myself. This all started when I was in high school. My friend Jen and I had the WORST sense of direction and one day in Feb in a snowstorm we were out to lunch with a group of about 10 other friends. Jen and I both got iced tea and so did a few others. The ones who got it were the ones without any direction sense. Since that time I have taken some very informal poles and for the most part I have found the theory to hold true. I am sure it is just a coincidence, but I figured I would put it up here and if a lot of people responded then I could get a clearer picture and maybe get myself a Nobel prise ;)

I walked to school uphill both ways without shoes in 10 feet of snow in July. Lunch? We didn't get to eat lunch. We had to eat paste from the art dept. Well at least that is what I plan on telling my daughter ;)

hiya GB, how's the wife and little ms. gb? hope you are all well..

i drink iced tea all year round, even when skiing. a few skiing buddies and i have tried carrying many types of drinks in our goatskins and camelpacks, and since they are outside your coat, they get very cold, to the point of freezing. so when we're in the mood to drink alky while skiing, we usually put white zin or a mixed vodka drink in the goatskins. even long island iced teas, but that's not the same thing as you're talking about.when i'm on my third or 4th day of skiing and can't handle any more alcohol (until apres ski, of course), i always put iced tea in my camelpack. i just love the stuff, and the sugar is a needed kick when your quads are burning, but you've got time for one more run.

oh, and as far as the sense of direction thingie, i do a lot of backpacking, and have always made it out ok by using the sun, moon and stars, (and sadly the sound of far off traffic to gauge the direction of a highway). sometimes, i even use "the force" to find my way, lol. you'd be surprised at the looks on people's faces when that one works. it's mostly a hunch combined with an educated guess, but using "the force"is more fun...

Hey Buckytom,

Both my girls are doing great! Thanks for asking. How is your family doing? Has your boy hit any new milestones?

You and I think a lot alike. I usually fill my camleback with screwdrivers :) I actually wear mine under my jacket though as I find it is a little more comfortable, but after a few runs when the camleback is a bit drained, well everything is comfortable.

I can usually find my way in the woods, but if I need to find my way around a town with paved streets, well that is where I run into problems LOL.

we're ok, thanks gb. our most recent milestone was our first family sickness. first ryan got sick, then my wife and i got it. took a coupla days off to stay home, help with the baby, and get some r&r. i haven't had even a tiny cold in more than 5 years, but this one really whalloped me. i'm better now, but dw is worse today, and my boy is very congested, can't breathe so he doesn't want to eat or sleep. ah, the joys of fadderhood.

Bucky, glad you are feeling better! I hope your wife & son get better soon! Have you tried sitting in the bathroom, holding your son, with the door closed & all the hot water on? I have had to do this with my daughter since she was tiny. The steam helps break up the congestion. You can also put a bowl with a few drops of eucalyptus oil in there with you. I know it makes everyone feel worse when the little ones are sick.

Finally 'got ' one of your sigs, buckytom - the Stones.

Hope you, DW, and Ryan feel better soon. I came down with something last Saturday and am still getting over it. Missed you around here. So that was nose-blowing I kept hearing in the background?

That must be such a challenge having everyone sick in such a short period of time. I hope everyone is feeling better very soon!

thanks everyone.

yeah crewsk, we have a cold mist humidifier running all of the time now. we've been using a nebulizer with some medicine, which he finds fascinating, so i don't want to try any oils or anything.

and mudbug, that was nose blowing you heard. now i have a lot of tanis and alix's geese in my yard lookin for love...lol.

OK GB, I drink iced tea all year round. Albeit, the "iced" portion often just means my cup of tea got cold. I drink tea all the time and my sense of direction is great. I can find my way to strange places with very little difficulty and if I have been somewhere once, I can find it again. My husband calls me Sulu.

Maybe I am the exception that proves the rule?

I think I am not going to count that Alix as it is not really iced tea. Maybe that is the key. I need to switch to regular tea that is not hot and then my directional sense will improve :)

OK really though, you have to love a place where we can all share funky ideas like this one...

Back
Top Bottom