"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Ice tea and directions

OK this may sound a bit weird, but a while ago a friend of mine and myself came up with a theory that anyone who drinks iced tea year round (at least in areas with a cold winter) has a horrible sense of direction. If you only drink iced tea in the warm months though then your sense of direction is fine.

Do you drink it year round and how is your sense of direction?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
Head Chef

Very interesting question, GB. I may be the converse of your proposition.

I (ahem) have an exceptional sense of direction, both day and night. I always thought that was because I have sailed since I was about ten years old. Overcast or sunny, I can find my way on land and at sea. Could it, instead, be the tea???

I drink iced tea sparingly in the summer, and occasionally in the winter, but I drink more copious amounts of hot tea year round.

And you?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Interesting. I am a sailor as well and have been for close to as long as you (since I was about 12 or so). I drink iced tea all year long. I drink hot tea mostly in the winter, but since I have kicked my coffee habit I find that I will occasionally have tea after a nice dinner if everyone else is going to have something hot.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry, Geebs, but this IS wierd. If I drink a lot of beer, does that make me left-handed? I need you to splain the relationship between two apparently unrelated things.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I am trying to figure out the relationship myself. This all started when I was in high school. My friend Jen and I had the WORST sense of direction and one day in Feb in a snowstorm we were out to lunch with a group of about 10 other friends. Jen and I both got iced tea and so did a few others. The ones who got it were the ones without any direction sense. Since that time I have taken some very informal poles and for the most part I have found the theory to hold true. I am sure it is just a coincidence, but I figured I would put it up here and if a lot of people responded then I could get a clearer picture and maybe get myself a Nobel prise
Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Good luck in your research! Here's another research topic for ya - Did you walk to school or bring your lunch?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I walked to school uphill both ways without shoes in 10 feet of snow in July. Lunch? We didn't get to eat lunch. We had to eat paste from the art dept. Well at least that is what I plan on telling my daughter
Old 10-21-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I drink iced tea all year round & I can't tell you which way is north & which way is south without a compass!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya GB, how's the wife and little ms. gb? hope you are all well..

i drink iced tea all year round, even when skiing. a few skiing buddies and i have tried carrying many types of drinks in our goatskins and camelpacks, and since they are outside your coat, they get very cold, to the point of freezing. so when we're in the mood to drink alky while skiing, we usually put white zin or a mixed vodka drink in the goatskins. even long island iced teas, but that's not the same thing as you're talking about.when i'm on my third or 4th day of skiing and can't handle any more alcohol (until apres ski, of course), i always put iced tea in my camelpack. i just love the stuff, and the sugar is a needed kick when your quads are burning, but you've got time for one more run.

oh, and as far as the sense of direction thingie, i do a lot of backpacking, and have always made it out ok by using the sun, moon and stars, (and sadly the sound of far off traffic to gauge the direction of a highway). sometimes, i even use "the force" to find my way, lol. you'd be surprised at the looks on people's faces when that one works. it's mostly a hunch combined with an educated guess, but using "the force"is more fun...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Hey Buckytom,

Both my girls are doing great! Thanks for asking. How is your family doing? Has your boy hit any new milestones?

You and I think a lot alike. I usually fill my camleback with screwdrivers :) I actually wear mine under my jacket though as I find it is a little more comfortable, but after a few runs when the camleback is a bit drained, well everything is comfortable.

I can usually find my way in the woods, but if I need to find my way around a town with paved streets, well that is where I run into problems LOL.