"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Iced Coffee or something like it?

Here we go, looking for tailgate help again.

The local coffee shops have these iced coffe drinks that are sweet and creamy (My Bride is a big fan). They have names like "Mochachino", "Coolatta", "Javachino"

I'd like to make a jug or so and bring it to a tailgate this friday.

Any recipes? Any ideas?
C'mon Back.

8) 8)
RAK

Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Cook

There's a few routes you can take, some being easier than others. You can either go for an iced coffee or an iced cappuccino/latte. For an iced cappucino, technically you'll need to start with a few expressos from an expresso maker. For an iced coffee you'll want to brew a very strong pot of coffee. To either, you'll add a very healthy dose of sugar and then chill. Day of, combine your coffee 'syrup' with a good amount or milk/cream.

That's the hard way.

It'll be a substantial drop in coffee quality, but instant coffee makes a pretty good facsimile of a coolata. Here's my current recipe for an instant coffee syrup.

1 C. water
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. instant coffee

Heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool briefly, whisk in coffee. Chill.

When combined with milk/cream, this makes a fairly sweet iced coffee - almost like a drinkable coffee ice cream. That's how most of the iced coffee drinks are these days.

In order to match the richness of the commercial products, you'll definitely want cream. This is all very much to taste, but I would first try a test batch with:

2 T. of syrup
8 oz. (1 cup) of whole milk
2 T. heavy cream

And then adjust from there. You can't add sugar to cold milk, but extra instant coffee (if necessary) should dissolve if you put it in a bottle and give it a good shake.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Coooooolatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
There's a few routes you can take, some being easier than others. You can either go for an iced coffee or an iced cappuccino/latte. For an iced cappucino, technically you'll need to start with a few expressos from an expresso maker. For an iced coffee you'll want to brew a very strong pot of coffee. To either, you'll add a very healthy dose of sugar and then chill. Day of, combine your coffee 'syrup' with a good amount or milk/cream.

That's the hard way.

It'll be a substantial drop in coffee quality, but instant coffee makes a pretty good facsimile of a coolata. Here's my current recipe for an instant coffee syrup.

1 C. water
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. instant coffee

Heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool briefly, whisk in coffee. Chill.

When combined with milk/cream, this makes a fairly sweet iced coffee - almost like a drinkable coffee ice cream. That's how most of the iced coffee drinks are these days.

In order to match the richness of the commercial products, you'll definitely want cream. This is all very much to taste, but I would first try a test batch with:

2 T. of syrup
8 oz. (1 cup) of whole milk
2 T. heavy cream

And then adjust from there. You can't add sugar to cold milk, but extra instant coffee (if necessary) should dissolve if you put it in a bottle and give it a good shake.
Make a coffee syrup! It makes all the sense in the world.
Thanks Scott!

8) 8)
RAK
Old 09-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Everymom

The one I like is like a coffee slushie. I make a similar coffee syrup. I toss a bunch of ice in the blender, add a substantial dollop of the syrup and a big glug of milk and buzz it up. You can add chocolate syrup or anything else that inspires you to this mixture. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Might have to try these on daughter so she quits spending my $4 every time she wants a Starbucks concoction.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Gilded Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Might have to try these on daughter so she quits spending my $4 every time she wants a Starbucks concoction.
That's What I'm talken about!

8) 8)

Rak
Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Firsttyme here is how I make my version of these frapaccino sort of drinks.

1 large glass of regular milk
1 large glass of half and half
2 tsp of instant coffee
sugar to taste

Bring milk to a rolling boil. Add coffee and sugar and let it cool. Once cool place it in a refrigerator to chill (can be made in advance)

Whip some cream with powdered sugar right before you are serving this iced coffee.

Remove the coffee base from the refrigerator and use a hand blender to make it nice and frothy. Pour in tall glass and top with some whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cocoa powder and serve.

It tastes much much better than what you get in stores.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks Yakuta, for your version. It sounds like a top shelf blend. I particularly like the idea of the use of the hand blender to bring up the froth!

8) 8)
Rak
Old 10-06-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

I worked in a Vietnamese restaurant that had killer iced coffee...

We would place a teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, which would counteract the dilution of the melted ice. Then add regular coffee and stir, to disolve the instant. Here's the kicker...add about a teaspoon full of sweetened condensed milk, but be sure to stir it in well since it takes a little bit of stirring to disolve it. Pour this over ice, and enjoy!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueMouse
I worked in a Vietnamese restaurant that had killer iced coffee...

We would place a teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, which would counteract the dilution of the melted ice. Then add regular coffee and stir, to disolve the instant. Here's the kicker...add about a teaspoon full of sweetened condensed milk, but be sure to stir it in well since it takes a little bit of stirring to disolve it. Pour this over ice, and enjoy!
Nice technique BBM!

8) 8)
Rak