"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
"Infused" Water

So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint

__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint
My favourite "infused" water is tea. Preferably strong (but not too tannin-y), English Breakfast tea made with loose tea leaves in a tea pot and served in a china cup or mug with a small amount of semi-skimmed milk and no sugar (drowns the flavour of the tea).

Oh yes, and the tea must be made with boiling water not just hot and the milk goes into the cup after the tea.

When pressed, I can go a cup of jasmine flavoured green (china) tea with lemon but when I get up in the morning or in moments of reflection or of crisis good black Indian tea does the trick.
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
But what about on a hot summer day? Like, when it's 90 (32) degrees outside.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 53
cucumber alone
cucumber and blueberries
strawberries and blueberries
strawberries and basil
__________________
Breathing Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
But what about on a hot summer day? Like, when it's 90 (32) degrees outside.
Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Cucumber infused water is very refreshing. The local sprout and twig restaurant near me sells if for $4.50/glass during the summer. I make it with larger cucumbers that I get from the farmers market.

You might want to try Switchel or one of its many variations.

Switching to Switchel | Plan It Healthier

The only other thing I have tried was watermelon chunks blended with ice cubes for a sort of slurpy. That was very good, but I would just as soon eat the ice cold watermelon and not have to wash the blender.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.
I have to agree. When I was in the Air Force and stationed in the middle east we were always offered hot tea or coffee while working. It actually worked at regulating the bodies temperature. Cold drinks, we were told my the medicos, made the body work harder.
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,248
I'm a simple girl, so all I do is scrub a lime, cut it in half, then cut out a quarter-piece from the half. Squeeze over ice, drop the lime piece into the glass, and fill with cold water from the refrigerator dispenser (filtered water). I've also used a wedge of lemon or orange, but I personally like lime best.

Your different combinations sound really good p.a.g. I'll have to try those when it gets warm.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.
My Grandmother was a big fan of this Doctor and his apple cider vinegar based Switchel, I think my grandmother added some ground ginger to hers and sometimes she served it hot as a remedy for colds or stuffy noses.

D. C. Jarvis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.