"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Executive Chef

"Infused" Water

So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint

Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint
My favourite "infused" water is tea. Preferably strong (but not too tannin-y), English Breakfast tea made with loose tea leaves in a tea pot and served in a china cup or mug with a small amount of semi-skimmed milk and no sugar (drowns the flavour of the tea).

Oh yes, and the tea must be made with boiling water not just hot and the milk goes into the cup after the tea.

When pressed, I can go a cup of jasmine flavoured green (china) tea with lemon but when I get up in the morning or in moments of reflection or of crisis good black Indian tea does the trick.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

But what about on a hot summer day? Like, when it's 90 (32) degrees outside.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Cook

cucumber alone
cucumber and blueberries
strawberries and blueberries
strawberries and basil
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
But what about on a hot summer day? Like, when it's 90 (32) degrees outside.
Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

Cucumber infused water is very refreshing. The local sprout and twig restaurant near me sells if for $4.50/glass during the summer. I make it with larger cucumbers that I get from the farmers market.

You might want to try Switchel or one of its many variations.

Switching to Switchel | Plan It Healthier

The only other thing I have tried was watermelon chunks blended with ice cubes for a sort of slurpy. That was very good, but I would just as soon eat the ice cold watermelon and not have to wash the blender.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.
I have to agree. When I was in the Air Force and stationed in the middle east we were always offered hot tea or coffee while working. It actually worked at regulating the bodies temperature. Cold drinks, we were told my the medicos, made the body work harder.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

I'm a simple girl, so all I do is scrub a lime, cut it in half, then cut out a quarter-piece from the half. Squeeze over ice, drop the lime piece into the glass, and fill with cold water from the refrigerator dispenser (filtered water). I've also used a wedge of lemon or orange, but I personally like lime best.

Your different combinations sound really good p.a.g. I'll have to try those when it gets warm.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.
My Grandmother was a big fan of this Doctor and his apple cider vinegar based Switchel, I think my grandmother added some ground ginger to hers and sometimes she served it hot as a remedy for colds or stuffy noses.

D. C. Jarvis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
water