"Infused" Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint

Last edited:
So, I know infused water has been around forever but it's kind of becoming a "thing" and I've tried a few recently that I wouldn't have thought to make myself but really liked. How many of you have tried this? What are some of your favorite infused waters? I'm finding I really like that they make the water taste like something (a good something) without making it sweet and juice like. With spring and then summer on it's way (I know, it doesn't seem like it in some places but it really is getting closer) I'd like to hear what others have tried.

So far I've tried the following:

Strawberries and lemon slices
Watermelon pieces, mint, and blueberries
Strawberries, blueberries, and basil
Lime wedges and lemon wedges
Orange slices and raspberries
Orange slices, lemon slices, and rosemary
Cucumber slices, hondeydew melon, watermelon, and mint
My favourite "infused" water is tea. Preferably strong (but not too tannin-y), English Breakfast tea made with loose tea leaves in a tea pot and served in a china cup or mug with a small amount of semi-skimmed milk and no sugar (drowns the flavour of the tea).

Oh yes, and the tea must be made with boiling water not just hot and the milk goes into the cup after the tea.

When pressed, I can go a cup of jasmine flavoured green (china) tea with lemon but when I get up in the morning or in moments of reflection or of crisis good black Indian tea does the trick.

But what about on a hot summer day? Like, when it's 90 (32) degrees outside.

Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ;)) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.

Cucumber infused water is very refreshing. The local sprout and twig restaurant near me sells if for $4.50/glass during the summer. I make it with larger cucumbers that I get from the farmers market.

You might want to try Switchel or one of its many variations.

Switching to Switchel | Plan It Healthier

The only other thing I have tried was watermelon chunks blended with ice cubes for a sort of slurpy. That was very good, but I would just as soon eat the ice cold watermelon and not have to wash the blender.

Even more so. In Egypt, in August, we found that cold drinks (still mineral water, coke, etc.,) were useful for rehydration but made us feel even hotter, whereas a glass of hot black tea with crushed fresh mint leaves (sugared - no choice) was much more refreshing. The same applied in Kenya, only it came with milk there.

I do like iced tea too. (No, not the "Long Island" version ;)) But for choice if I was hot, sticky and flustered I'd rather have it hot.
I have to agree. When I was in the Air Force and stationed in the middle east we were always offered hot tea or coffee while working. It actually worked at regulating the bodies temperature. Cold drinks, we were told my the medicos, made the body work harder.

I'm a simple girl, so all I do is scrub a lime, cut it in half, then cut out a quarter-piece from the half. Squeeze over ice, drop the lime piece into the glass, and fill with cold water from the refrigerator dispenser (filtered water). I've also used a wedge of lemon or orange, but I personally like lime best.

Your different combinations sound really good p.a.g. I'll have to try those when it gets warm.

Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.

Vinegar and either plain water or Seltzer is my "go to." My grandma used to make Switchel with honey, water, and cider vinegar.

My Grandmother was a big fan of this Doctor and his apple cider vinegar based Switchel, I think my grandmother added some ground ginger to hers and sometimes she served it hot as a remedy for colds or stuffy noses.

D. C. Jarvis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I generally go for my cider vinegar cocktail, I like tangerine or lime as a switch. I've tried honeydew and cantaloupe waters, too...they were good, but not a favorite.

Oh - strawberries and a grind of black pepper. Cumin and chili powder.

There are so many great ideas here for infused water. Thank you all! I'll be referring back to this thread often. :)

...Oh - strawberries and a grind of black pepper. Cumin and chili powder.

Is it strawberries with the black pepper, cumin, and chili powder or are cumin and chili powder a separate combination?

Thanks for the ideas so far. Several I'm going to have to try. So far I'm finding I like the fruit or fruit and herb ones the best. The black pepper sounds really intriguing. I also have mixed pepper corns and now I'm wondering how they would be with maybe pineapple or tangerine. Hmmm.

Cumin and chili powder are separate. Try the strawberry and black pepper, very interesting twist on strawberry. The mixed peppercorns would be nice.

Cumin and chili powder are separate. Try the strawberry and black pepper, very interesting twist on strawberry. The mixed peppercorns would be nice.

One of the local grocers regularly has strawberries (locally grown all summer) for a pretty decent price. The ones they have currently are from SoCal and have a really strong strawberry flavor but aren't sweet at all. I'm thinking they would be good with the black pepper.

On one of Jacques Pepin's television shows he did a cheese platter with apples that were sprinkled with lemon juice and crushed or coarsely ground black pepper. He said if you want to impress your guests call it Apples Mignonette, lol!

Pass the Strawberries Mignonette please! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

mignonette - A French term used to describe coarsely ground or crushed white or black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom